• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

About to get a TS-2000

K6OZY

Apr 1, 2011
I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Kenwood TS-2000 this weekend. I'm surprised that a 10 year old radio hasn't been refreshed yet. I need this rig for satellite work since no other vendor seems to make one that competes without jumping up to the IC-9100. Even then, the IC-9100 can't receive VHF/VHF or UHF/UHF on both VFO's at the same time which is something I need for local repeater use.

Does anyone think I'm buying into too old of a radio that may be replaced soon?

:bdh:

Thx

K6OZY

OZY,
Have you noticed that Kenwood seems to lead the other big names with innovations, new bells-n-whistles, performance? That's not only because I'm a Kenwood fan, it's just a fact, check for your self. They come out with something 'new' then all the others seem to 'catch up' to them. It's been happening that way for at least the last 10 years. Have you also notices, especially in the last 5 years or so that the 'other' manufacturers have been copying the model numbers used by Kenwood? I think that's because Kenwood has produced some really popular radios and the 'others' are taking advantage of the fact.
But disregard that, only go by the requirements you have for a radio. Which ones have the abilities you want, at the price you are willing to pay?
I think you've answered your own question. I really doubt if Kenwood will be introducing a new model in the next 2 or 3 months, but they might. And is having the latest and greatest really that important to you?
- 'Doc

I almost ended up with a TS-2000 but I had read in a few places about some birdies in the FM Satellite bands so I bought a used FT-847. I look forward to hearing about the TS-2000 and how it does on the birds.

My FT-847 has been working real well, I also use it for digital stuff on HF.

Well I guess I will be the owner of a new TS-2000 as of tomorrow. I sold my FT-847 as I had a deal going for a loaded Flex 5000, but as I should have figured, the deal was too good to be true and the FT-847 is already on its way to the new owner. At least I have plenty of cash for the new TS-2000.

I was suppose to get the Flex 5000 for 3k with the 2nd RX, tuner and VHF/UHF Module and they are starting to implement it so you can do satellite work. Well all of a sudden no 2nd RX and no VHF/UHF :headbang well I guess I'll be able to post some reviews on how I like the TS-2000 in comparison to the FT-847.

I run with a Flex SDR-1000 and a TS-2000. The Kenny is like a Swiss Army knife. If it is needed; it is in there. Got mine from a MARS op in MI. He bought it a the Hamvention/Ohio and used it for less than a month. He used his TS-950SDX most of the time. Radio was less than a year old before I got it from him. Practically NIB; but I paid $1100 for it plus shipping.

I think you will like it, as I use mine every day. A real work horse of usable features - IMO.

I bought my TS-2000 in January of this year....when HRO had there Christmas discount and Kenwood also had their discount.

This put the deal at $1399.99 free shipping and no sales tax.

The only mod done is the MARS/CAP mod.

I use it with a 7-band Buckmaster OCF-Dipole and an Imax-2000.

I've been very happy with this problem free radio and I'm sure you will be also.

Also if you look at the many for-sale forums....these radios always seem to have high re-sale prices.

Goodluck.

Well I get over night ups from HRO in NH. The TS-2000 arrived yesterday and I immediately made a few contacts on the Satellites with no preamps. Today I will take down my AR2 Preamps and remove the DC Chokes. I already ran power wires up to power up the preamps. The FT-847 allowed powering the preamps via the coax and I am not comfortable having 12v DC on the coax going into the TS-2000.

Anyway so far so good, some people were complaining about a birdie at 426.800 ( I think thats the freq ) but it all sounds clear on my set up running through the Gulf Alpha Dual Band.

I momentarily thought about the Icom 9100 until I saw the price.

Craig

Well I get over night ups from HRO in NH. The TS-2000 arrived yesterday and I immediately made a few contacts on the Satellites with no preamps. Today I will take down my AR2 Preamps and remove the DC Chokes. I already ran power wires up to power up the preamps. The FT-847 allowed powering the preamps via the coax and I am not comfortable having 12v DC on the coax going into the TS-2000.

Anyway so far so good, some people were complaining about a birdie at 426.800 ( I think thats the freq ) but it all sounds clear on my set up running through the Gulf Alpha Dual Band.

I momentarily thought about the Icom 9100 until I saw the price.

Craig

I think a lot of hams thought about the IC-9100 until the price was released. I think the birdie was on 436.795, I am sure it was on the downlink of SO-50 and AO-27

I think a lot of hams thought about the IC-9100 until the price was released. I think the birdie was on 436.795, I am sure it was on the downlink of SO-50 and AO-27

Yup its there and it sucks, almost makes those birds unusable, definitely not fun to work them. My mast mounted Preamps help it some. Kicking my Butt I sold the Ft-847 before I was sure on the Flex 5000 deal .. Oh well live and learn. The TS-2000 is a nice rig and I think the RX might be a tad better than the FT-847, but the garbled crap on those two birds is a pain !

I love my TS-2000. I bought it new last October and while I haven't really spent much time in front of the mic I've enjoyed every minute that I have.

I am really starting to love this radio as well. I am all about the audio so I did the DSP mod software to it, then added some Behringer gear. I have the C-1 mic, Mic-2200 preamp, DSP-1124P EQ, and the W2IHY iBox to tie it into the radio. I have been getting Great audio reports on it. My Flex is the ultimate on Audio but the TS-2000, I have been told, sounds as good as a TS-870 ..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.