• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Accurate PEP Meter?

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
What's a good meter to have that measures PEP output? I have my Bird 43, but it doesn't have a peak kit in it, so it only measures average.

I also have one of those "feel good" meters (Dosy) that is calibrated on AM (calibrated to deadkey wattage).

With just the radio, both the Dosy and my Bird meter read almost exactly on the money to each other, but when I switch the amp on, the Bird meter reads 300W on SSB, and the Dosy reads 500W.

Sooo... hence the question for a good, accurate PEP meter. I hear the Daiwa CN-801HP meters are pretty good, is that something I should buy? Is there another meter that does well? Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks! :D

~Cheers~

Using the Daiwa HP 801 HP ( 2 of them).
Modification for SWR when measuring PEP is on the board, as well modification to get the hold time in PEP a bit longer for more easy read out too.

Done on both of mine.
Quite accurate as well.

Why not add the peak reading kit to your existing Bird and turn it into a 43P? If you buy an aftermarket peak kit, avoid the one with 5 ranges for each slug. That junk came with instructions explaining how it would not work well with aftermarket Chinese meter movements. That was OK with me but then I found out it really doesn't work accurately with any meter movement including the $100 Bird / Simpson.

Reactions: 4 people
Why not add the peak reading kit to your existing Bird and turn it into a 43P? If you buy an aftermarket peak kit, avoid the one with 5 ranges for each slug. That junk came with instructions explaining how it would not work well with aftermarket Chinese meter movements. That was OK with me but then I found out it really doesn't work accurately with any meter movement including the $100 Bird / Simpson.

If you choose to go with converting the 43 to the 43P, don't forget that the accuracy will be ±8% of full scale for PEP measurements. It will still be ±5% FS for average readings. And this assumes the meter and slugs are calibrated about once a year.

If you choose to go with converting the 43 to the 43P, don't forget that the accuracy will be ±8% of full scale for PEP measurements. It will still be ±5% FS for average readings. And this assumes the meter and slugs are calibrated about once a year.

Most other meters that list a tolerance are off by twice as much at +/- 10% for PEP and average. You don't even want to know how bad the others are that don't list the spec.

Now as I understand it (and was told) that average SSB output is 60% or so of the PeP output. If that's the case, my meters match. 60% of 500W is 300, so my meters agree in that aspect. I would like to get an LP-100 meter but those are big money. I think I'll still go with the Daiwa.

~Cheers~

I thought SSB pep was about 25-30% less on a non pep meter? So 600 watts is roughly 700-800 watts pep on SSB? Does that sound about right? That's about what my rat shack meter shows anyway. I am still drooling over the LP100 myself. My mind says yes, my wallet says NO!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.