• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice needed

skip searcher

Nov 17, 2006
IRELAND
I have a serious issue here , I've shipped a radio to radio shop supply in ramona ca back in August the radio was a ranger rci 2950 dx I dropped the radio and bent some of the dials on the front as far as I know it switched on ok but I'm not sure it worked I finally received the radio last Friday back in canada , I drive long haul between canada and the usa , so I got the radio professionaly installed Monday in Fontana california I bought a Wilson 2000 trucker Antenna special bracket for the mirror of my truck a Wilson Antenna mount Wilson cable so yesterday I left california it worked climbing up San Bernardino I talked to a guy on 27.555 usb about an hour after that it stopped working problems are radio crackles and hums slightly also while transmiting on SSB it moves from frequency 27.475 LSB to pa also while I'm taking it flicks from rx to tx I can't even get a radio check on channel 19 ive paid $70.00 for repair $11.00 for a new power lead and $11.03 for new band selector switch I'm really dissapointed here and need advice on my next move the radio has a warranty seal if I send this back to radio shop supply should I take a photo to prove seal is not broke and who is going to pay shipping has any one dealt with this shop and if so did you have problems ,

I used to use a Shop in Ontartio Ca for my HF radio but since Bill Goode went silent key about 9 yrs ago they went to hell, I feel your pain In my 20 +yrs livin on the raod I have been there a few times. The only palace I would send that radio if it was mine is to http://www.dtbradio.com/ he did a few radios for me over the yrs. It will be right when you get it back!

Last edited:
Reactions: Unit 194
Radio shop supply are also ranger repair agent only they havent repaired my radio I just want some advice on how I should contact them and if I have to ship back to them who will pay shipping charges

I would contact the place you had do the repair and see what they will do but you will probably have to eat the shipping as the failure of the radio might not be related to the repairs.

Do you feel the repair place did something wrong? If so you need to deal with them first, either get a refund but they are going to want to check it out first or pay another place to fix it and try to get them to pay for it. Sending it someplace else is in theory paying twice for the same repair. At this point I would weight out the option of biting the bullet and just by a new radio.

I should of sent it there but he said to me when I contsct
I used to use a Shop in Ontartio Ca for my HF radio but since Bill Goode went silent key about 9 yrs ago they went to hell, I feel your pain In my 20 +yrs livin on the raod I have been there a few times. The only palace I would send that radio if it was mine is to http://www.dtbradio.com/ he did a few radios for me over the yrs. It will be right when you get it back!
it hurts for sure brother out there earning your money only to be shafted , honest radio shops and repair shops are becoming a thing of the past , I'm gonna be calling DTB in the morning I should of dealt with him in the first place the only reason I sent it to california was it was closer to western canada , I learned my lesson and haven't heard a bad word said about DTB radio he will be getting my business for sure,

Do you feel the repair place did something wrong? If so you need to deal with them first, either get a refund but they are going to want to check it out first or pay another place to fix it and try to get them to pay for it. Sending it someplace else is in theory paying twice for the same repair. At this point I would weight out the option of biting the bullet and just by a new radio.
ive had the phone put down on my twice by this shop i'am just going to have to take the hit I'm gonna send it to DTB but I'm a believer in karma what you do cones back to bite you

I'm gonna be calling DTB in the morning I should of dealt with him in the first place the only reason I sent it to california was it was closer to western canada , I learned my lesson and haven't heard a bad word said about DTB radio he will be getting my business for sure,
E-mail DTBRADIO@PA.NET is the best way to contact DTB Radio. I really don't think he has the time to answer the telephone.

Reactions: skip searcher
Bill Good was one of the best in the business, I had a RCI 2950 that had all of his enhancements built into it.
In fact If Jim Peng and his "factory techs" had listened to Bill`s suggestions, the 2950DX would be an even better radio than it is now.
It was a sad day for the hobby when he passed.
FGBest was not the same shop after he passed.
There are few left that compared to him and guys like John Mahoney of Panther Electronics and Richard Byrd SS8541 .
David , DTB radio is a qualified tech and does good work.
He is a very busy guy now days.

Jeff

Bill Good was one of the best in the business, I had a RCI 2950 that had all of his enhancements built into it.
In fact If Jim Peng and his "factory techs" had listened to Bill`s suggestions, the 2950DX would be an even better radio than it is now.
It was a sad day for the hobby when he passed.
FGBest was not the same shop after he passed.
There are few left that compared to him and guys like John Mahoney of Panther Electronics and Richard Byrd SS8541 .
David , DTB radio is a qualified tech and does good work.
He is a very busy guy now days.

Jeff

I haven't heard anything from/about john in at least a decade, is he still in the radio game ???

Last edited:
I has been years and I have heard nothing about John, his web site went down and he just seemed to go away.
He was a top notch radio guy and it showed in his work.
As far as I know SharpShooter, Richard is still working on radio stuff, but I think his main focus in public service/commercial radio stuffj
John had a great web board.

Jeff

Reactions: IMD262

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.