• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AL80x meter switch aggravations reduced.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Ameritron's base amplifiers typically solder the "meter" circuit board to the rear of the meter's function selector switch. The threaded bushing of the switch body supports the circuit board. An efficient design for putting it together, but not so efficient if you need access to the circuit board later on. The knobs, pointers and front panel all have to come off just so you can loosen the meter switche's bushing nut.

Bah! Humbug! It won't seem so bad until the first time you find that you didn't quite "fix" the meter board 100 percent, and it has to come loose. Again.

Fortunately they made the faceplate hole for the switch shaft 3/8 of an inch. Makes it big enough for the draw bolt of Greenlee punch.

ej1KJF.jpg

gyptNR.jpg

A 3/4-inch hole will be big enough for the head of my half-inch nutdriver. Won't have to remove the face next time that circuit board has to be molested.

wRe3wJ.jpg

And the knob is just big enough to cover it up.

DIewNE.jpg

And if I find myself repairing the meter board, or replacing the meter switch down the road, it will be a lot less aggravating to do.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.