• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alinco DR-635 versus the competition

KD4UPL

Aug 5, 2012
My 18 year old Icom 2340H dual bander is in need of replacement. I have zero interest in APRS, GPS, Echolink, etc. I do need a radio that works very well on cross band repeat. I live and work mainly in rural areas so I don't think problems with lots of strong local radio signals will be an issue.
It looks like my options are the Yaesu FT-8800, the Kenwood TM-71A, and the Alinco DR-635. I've had only bad luck with Kenwood and that radio will only transmit in cross band repeat mode for 3 minutes before it times out. The Yaesu has small, unlit buttons and flimsy sensitive volume knobs from what I'm reading. I have big fingers and will use it mobile, sometimes off road so I'm leaning to the Alinco.
I've been a ham for almost 20 years and never owned an Alinco but I've always been lead to believe they're a step below Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu in quality.
I'd like to hear experience from people who have owned Alinco radios, especially the model in question.
Thanks,
Matthew

You've probably already seen the eham reviews, some of which are legit, and some of them makes you say, really? You may also look at a leftover or used Icom 208, but I dont think it does xband repeat.

The 208 does not cross band repeat.
I just noticed on the AES website that they are claiming the Kenwood TM-V71A, Yaesu FT-8800R, FT-350AR, and Icom 2820H will all be discontinued. I'd love to know what the replacements will be. Maybe I need to wait a while.

Discontinued, or will not be getting new stock for a bit, it says. I could see the 8800 getting replaced, its a little dated. Perhaps they'll address the tiny screen and no back lighting finally.

I've owned Alinco equipment and never had any problems with their radios. The only real issues I've ever had were with Yaesu VHF/UHF mobiles. I had two that literally died just after the one year warranty was up. I do like their HF gear though. The DR-635 certaily in priced right for a dual band mobile. If it has the features you want then I'd buy it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.