• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM/FM 10M/11M HT HELP!!!

sir. witchback

Pied Piper
Sep 26, 2009
WV USA
I have built a few repeaters over the years, and am thinking of putting one in my house to link up with a HT while out and around. My wife and I use the radio as a "fee cell phone" if you will.. We TX on 27.885 MHz as a primary. My base is a RCI 2950DX and my mobile is a Galaxy 95T, and a RCI 2950DX. With the RCI's I have off-set for repeaters. I would like to find a AM/FM HT that also has off-Set's for accessing my repeater. I spend most of my time outside, and would like to have a radio with me. Any info that leads me to find a HT would be greatly appreciated.

A handi-talkie that runs on 11 meters is only not practical due to the antenna requirements.
I think you would not be impressed with the performance.
Even though, cobra and midland have AM units for USA market.
You can get FM units for the British market. Search for the Midland Alan 42. I think they will do AM with a country setting.

A repeater on 11 meters is only possible as multi-site. There are no duplexers made for 11m.
The receiving site needs to be at a different place than the transmitting site, and both linked on another band.
The alternative for single-site repeater is an input on another band like MURS or FRS.
Also, an AM repeater input is impossible because CTCSS/DPL code squelching does not work on AM.

A handi-talkie that runs on 11 meters is only not practical due to the antenna requirements.
I think you would not be impressed with the performance.
Even though, cobra and midland have AM units for USA market.
You can get FM units for the British market. Search for the Midland Alan 42. I think they will do AM with a country setting.

A repeater on 11 meters is only possible as multi-site. There are no duplexers made for 11m.
The receiving site needs to be at a different place than the transmitting site, and both linked on another band.
The alternative for single-site repeater is an input on another band like MURS or FRS.
Also, an AM repeater input is impossible because CTCSS/DPL code squelching does not work on AM.

I have built a few 11M band repeaters, and never have tryed to use them on AM. That is not a good idea. I use FM. It is very easy to make one with 2 radios that have FM. A RX radio, and a TX radio. I built a device that goes on the RX radio that keys up the TX radio through the SQ, and S/meter. I put one in my first car when I was 16. It worked very nice. I used a scanner for the RX, and a home made transmiter for the TX. 2 antennas no duplexers needed.

With no duplexers you will severly desense the receiver while the transmitter is operating. That's one of the jobs of duplexers,to isolate the rx and tx even when using separate antennas on a common site.Ever listen to a station from your mobile and have someone next to you key up? Notice the received signal drops? That's desense happening. Various radios respond differantly but the 2950DX has enough problems with RX sensitivity already. There is an 11m repeater operating in the Dominican Republic and the operator made his own duplexers using tuned heliax cable as stubs. It works very well. It may even be possible to retune 10m duplexers down that far but that may be pusing it a bit.If you even have a working system without duplexers now, you will be amazed at the differance if/when you use them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.