• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Am Phone

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
Was wondering if we have any am operators here on the site.

I was always a VHF type of guy even way before getting my ham ticket. 12 years before to be exact. I used to go out to field day and help a friend of mine with satellite work. I spent most of my ham career on VHF SSB and Oscar AO-7. I still long for the days of AO-10 and 13. But looks like those days are long gone. My satellite station has not been turn on in a year. Even sold my VHF and UHF amplifiers a while back.

What I really like to do is get into some AM. Don't think I am ready for heavy iron yet. Thinking of finding something in the line of maybe a Kenwood twin. R-599D and T-599D. Maybe a Gonset twin..
I have had several transceivers over the years but nothing that sounds decent on AM. Other than my old 101's. they are ok.

So what you guys run? Frequencies? I like to hear from you.

Thinking about putting my prized procession up for sale or trade. Yaesu FT-736.

I was into some HF AM activity a few years ago before my station went QRT for a while. i hope to get back on the air in full swing this fall. My AM station is nothing to brag about other than the audio quality. :D It consists of a Heathkit DX-60B with matching HG-10 VFO. I do have the matching HR-10 receiver but it is not operational at this time. I use a Kenwood R-1000 for now. The microphone is a Sennheiser MD-421 with an Altec Lansing preamp which will likely be replaced with a Radio Design Labs STM-2 preamp. I do have a Urei graphic EQ that I may or may not use depending on other factors. I did use it with my Gates limiter/AGC amp but it went Supernova a couple years ago and is U/S. Hopefully I can get my AM station back on the air this winter. I may possibly have a Yaesu FT-101 coming my way in the next few weeks so that is another AM possibility. I can generate great quality AM but I just need more power.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty cool. I know they even have a Heathkit DX-60 net on 80 meters. I been listening the last couple of nights in the home shack using my 757 Yaesu. Tried using my Swans but dont like the sound of the audio. From what I read the DX-60b is a nice rig.

I heard some nice sounding stations last night. Sounded like broadcast.
The 101's are not bad. They can do a decent job with a few mods. Atr the moment all my 101's are in need of a little work. Just have not had time to fix them. Maybe over Christmas shut down.

BTW look at the prices these old AM rigs are going for now. Most have tripled in the last 10 years. I remember seeing the Kenwood twins go for 250 to 300, now 500 bucks.
Keep us posted on your AM station. I will do the same.

AM on amateur radio? I thought every one ran SSB on everything. Except the higher frequencies.
And now I hear there are SSB Two Meter radios for sale.

That sounds pretty cool. I know they even have a Heathkit DX-60 net on 80 meters. I been listening the last couple of nights in the home shack using my 757 Yaesu. Tried using my Swans but dont like the sound of the audio. From what I read the DX-60b is a nice rig.

I heard some nice sounding stations last night. Sounded like broadcast.
The 101's are not bad. They can do a decent job with a few mods. Atr the moment all my 101's are in need of a little work. Just have not had time to fix them. Maybe over Christmas shut down.

BTW look at the prices these old AM rigs are going for now. Most have tripled in the last 10 years. I remember seeing the Kenwood twins go for 250 to 300, now 500 bucks.
Keep us posted on your AM station. I will do the same.

I know you have to add the wide AM filter to the 101's, but what else are you doing to them to get a better sound? I have a 101E that is just sitting, and I was thinking of selling it. Might want to play AM with it though, now that you mentioned it.

Brett

AM on amateur radio? I thought every one ran SSB on everything. Except the higher frequencies.
And now I hear there are SSB Two Meter radios for sale.

2m SSB radios for sale?? WHERE!? HOW MUCH!? No seriously, no 2m SSB gear has been made in many years. Same for 70cm stuff. There was a time in the '80's when there were a number of VHF/UHF multimode gear available but sadly the availability for stand alone single band multimode gear has pretty much disappeared. I believe there is still a demand for such gear however since almost everyone is making HF/VHF/UHF transceivers most make do with such gear even though it is inferior to dedicated single band gear or even a good transverter.

As for AM on HF, it's been there forever. There are some really dedicated AM operators sandwiched into a relatively small window on pretty much every traditional HF band. (Excluding the WARC bands)

I have plenty of V/UHF SSB stuff. 2 KLM’s, 2 FT-726’s, 2 FT-221R’s, FT-736, KLM Ecjo-70. And various MFJ stuff. And seems like the prices for said equipment has gone out the roof since no one makes standalone rigs anymore.
As far as AM stuff Like CK said there are a lot of folks on AM now. Just listen on 7.290 late evenings. You may consider AM and old mode of operation. In reality it is not that the mode died out, it is more of equipment manufactures just did not do their homework and concentrate on making rigs that would sound good on AM. So folks stuck with SSB and CW. I hear folks on AM with modern rigs. They think they sound good but most sound like they have a sock stuck in their mouth. I choose not to sound like that on the air. And the Diehard AM’er groups want even listen to you.
As far as the 101’s there are quite a few mods you can do that will really pick up the quality of your audio. Remember what you are looking for is broadcast sound, not the tinny ringing sound I hear a lot of on certain AM bands. Mods to do this consist of part change outs in the audio circuits and final stages of the radio. Google will reveal a lot. Here is a mod from my notes which has been passed around on the web for a while:
Transmit Modifications
PB-1315:
· Change R2 from 47k to 4.7 M for crystal mic (D-104, etc.)
· Add 100 pF in parallel with R2 to bypass RF.
· Change C2 from 10 uF to 150 uF.
· Change R3 from 4.7k to 1.5k.
· Change C5 from 1 uF to 10 uF.
· Change C3 from 0.047 uF to 0.001 uF disc ceramic.
· Change C7 from 1 uF to 10 uF.
· Change C8 from 22 uF to 150 uF.
· Change C9 from 0.01 uF to 0.001 uF.
· Change C11 from 2.2 uF to 22 uF/35V .
PB-1184A:
· Change C12 from 0.22 uF to 2.2 uF (+ towards R7/8/9 )(use C11 removed from PB-1315).
· Change C2 from 0.01 uF to 0.001 uF.
· For high level auxilliary input from tape deck or other source cut L36 from pin 5 and connect to pin 4 of PB-1315 board.
Receive Modifications
First and foremost, the narrow SSB IF filter makes signals through the receiver sound very muffled. Fortunately, there is an aftermarket 6 kHz wide AM filter available for the FT-101/B/E/F series from:
International Radio and Computer, Inc.
3804 South U.S. 1 Fort Pierce, FL 34982
Phone: (407) 489-0956, FAX: (407) 464-6386
The filter is the Fox-Tango #2011. Price as of January 1993 is $75.00 plus shipping. The filter is installed in place of the CW filter, with some minor circuit changes so that the 6kHz filter is in circuit when the mode switch is placed in the AM position. The SSB filter remains in the FT-101 and is used in the SSB and CW modes.
** If you buy a used filter without the instructions, refer to Yaesu FT-101 series Maintenance Service Manual (Yaesu part # 50900) available from Yaesu for installation instructions.
PB-1315:
· Change C45-from 0.1 uF to 10 uF/25V electrolytic (+ towards base of Q9).
· Remove C39 0.047 uF.
· Change C43 from 0.01 uF to 10 uF/25V electrolytic (+ towards Q9).
· Change C44 from 220 uF to 750-1000 uF at 10V.
· Change C40 from 33 uF to 150 uF.

I use AM whenever possible. I just don't subscribe to the AM-O-Philes requirements of pristine audio. I usually talk to friends and relatives or any ops that return my calls.

I haven't had anyone (yet) tell me that my audio sucks to the point that they end our conversation.

I imagine the 7.290 dudes would lose their erection listening to me, so I'll just sand bag there, lol.

I get on AM on 75 when it gets cooler.in the FALL/WINTER. That is if you can find a clear spot. I never have been on AM on 40, because of the SW stations, but might try it.

I use an ALINCO DX70 which produces 45 watts on AM, and no complaints from the die-hard groups.. I really like working the qrp group running those 8 watt am rigs someone sold as a kit for a few years.
I have an end fed wire up, it is only 48 feet long and get out around the tri-state area.

See you on AM.

DOCTOR/795

I use AM whenever possible. I just don't subscribe to the AM-O-Philes requirements of pristine audio. I usually talk to friends and relatives or any ops that return my calls.

I haven't had anyone (yet) tell me that my audio sucks to the point that they end our conversation.

I imagine the 7.290 dudes would lose their erection listening to me, so I'll just sand bag there, lol.

I like to have really nice audio on AM but don't strive to be ridiculous with it. Being 15-20 KHz wide is crazy. The typical male voice has nothing to contribute that high so why bother unless you want to play music or noise toys and that's what 11m is for. LOL

Reactions: Robb
I get on AM on 75 when it gets cooler.in the FALL/WINTER. That is if you can find a clear spot. I never have been on AM on 40, because of the SW stations, but might try it.

I use an ALINCO DX70 which produces 45 watts on AM, and no complaints from the die-hard groups.. I really like working the qrp group running those 8 watt am rigs someone sold as a kit for a few years.
I have an end fed wire up, it is only 48 feet long and get out around the tri-state area.

See you on AM.

DOCTOR/795

Thanks for reminding me. I bought one of those just before Small Wonder Labs stopped selling them and never put it together yet. Sounds like something I should do this winter. Maybe even build a small amp with a pair of 807's or 811A's for it too. Hmmmmmm...................(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.