• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur Radio Kids Day, June 2016

Obed

Sep 15, 2015
Porter, Texas
One of my favorite Ham radio activities is getting kids involved.
I had a great time this year when I had my niece bring her kids over for kids day.
They were visiting here in Porter Texas from their home in Alaska.
I am posting a few pictures of our day.

kidsdaycert.jpg

at the end of the day we gave each kid a certificate of participation, down loaded from the ARRL website.

we started the day with a bit of familiarizing them with CW. Each kid was taught how to send their name in CW with a straight key. I was surprised how much they seemed to enjoy it.

kidsdaycw.jpg

Then it was time to get on the air... we did a bit of HF and a bit with repeaters...I think their biggest thrill was with linked repeaters Molly talked to a Ham from Alaska who was mobile at the time...

molly#2kidsday.jpg

I think the only time they were at all bored was while the old man did a last minute check of the bands to see where the best place to start off calling CQ Kids day would be...

kidsdayprep.jpg

Reactions: wavrider
Awesome. My sons converse on citizens band to other local kids from time to time. They are courteous and well spoken. With some exposure to amateur radio, they may take more interest if I were to give them a spiffy award like you did :D Good work.

Aq4qdSO.jpg

Reactions: 222DBFL
I am kind of partial to working with kids...I got my interest in Amateur radio as a kid back in 1961 and have really enjoyed it over the years...why not pass on something that a kid can do for all of his life...doing a good deed for the kid, and the hobby at the same time.

Reactions: BBB and 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.