• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AL-800 ideas?

Eric L

Feb 2, 2024
First post here. Sorry it's got to be a question. My AL-800 has been humming along quite happy until last night. Not sure exactly what happened, but it's unhappy.

Symptoms - no RF out.
HV is good, amp goes through it's warm up. When amp is in Standby it passes the RF from the rig to the dummy load just fine. When the amp is in OPR mode, I see no grid or plate current, no RF out, and no reflected. Basically, nothing. I DO hear the relay when I key a carrier. Last symptom is that whan the amp is in Operate mode, it does NOT pass the RF from the rig to the dummy load.

I have a spare 3cX800 tube but swapping it in changes nothing.

Ideas? I've owned it for three years and never a problem.

First post here. Sorry it's got to be a question. My AL-800 has been humming along quite happy until last night. Not sure exactly what happened, but it's unhappy.

Symptoms - no RF out.
HV is good, amp goes through it's warm up. When amp is in Standby it passes the RF from the rig to the dummy load just fine. When the amp is in OPR mode, I see no grid or plate current, no RF out, and no reflected. Basically, nothing. I DO hear the relay when I key a carrier. Last symptom is that whan the amp is in Operate mode, it does NOT pass the RF from the rig to the dummy load.

I have a spare 3cX800 tube but swapping it in changes nothing.

Ideas? I've owned it for three years and never a problem.
Does it have the EBS board installed? Have you checked the plate choke? No output on all bands?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.