• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AL80A Has arrived and shes a beast.

lonestarbandit

Supporting Member - WDX 429
Dec 30, 2006
20231130_182513.jpg

Of course that is SSB not AM and the FT-710 only has 25 watts on AM vs 100 on SSB and that is PEP but that fat old tube is beastly. People instantly come back and compliment the audio quality and punch. Guess this may be a good mashup after all of old and new tech!
The sticker is for the benefit of my wife who likes to rearrange things however this is a heavy beast probably an unneeded caution lol.

20231130_182507.jpg

Oh dear. Is this more specific to SB1000s or is the Ameritron AL80A subject to hightened failure rates as well @nomadradio

Last edited:
Here is a nice little article about the Al 80.
I have one of the original refurbished amps. Mine is serial number 324.
It puts out some pretty impressive watts on 11 meters....into a dummy load. cough cough

I bought it from a local here who then bought a new Ameritron 811H, I believe.
My AL 80 is sitting here waiting for me to get a house again. I miss having a base station.

Attachments

• 20231202_160911.jpg
    20231202_160911.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 20231202_160939.jpg
    20231202_160939.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Nice box Glad you didnt get the earlier sn! Yes, I'd read that article previously. But I didn't see anything on the AL80A eating transformers so @nomadradio scared me given the SB1000 seems to be a clone of AL80A.

Reactions: codeman
Easy @BJ radionut wattmeter picture was PEP on SSB with max recommended drive per manual. I was just testing the tube out. I THINK it's an Eimac from the design but I didn't see the printing on it. (Didnt pull it out as it survived shipment installed and packed in place I didnt want to pull it out to look for sure as it was working great) I'm not running at that in normal use. I have SSB input down to about 75 watts I think that was showing around 600. I was going to ask what the recommended output was but you've answered it. I definitely don't want to be replacing tubes or transformers pushing for negligible gain. I did have one question though I seem to remember from my firebird 500 and Phantom days it was advisable to dip the plate at the end of tuning? Been solid state so long having to re-learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJ radionut
advisable to dip the plate
Every stage... See manual! No need to retune every time either. My HB 6m amp/2-3-500z gets "tuned-up"" only about once a week(maybe)...only when the band is changed or big 200+kc shift in freq. requires a "Tune-up"... Nothing to be gained by getting 50-100w "extra" except hammering the tubes.

Reactions: lonestarbandit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.