• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AL80A Has arrived and shes a beast.

@250 for RF Parts chinese tubes I'm not into beating up this old tube that seems to have lots of life left so I certainly agree.

Reactions: Rwb
Do I need this on the stock eimac AL80A? Someone said I should replace the stock with this.

@nomadradio @linearone
Screenshot_20231206_222624_eBay.jpg

Reactions: Rwb
I never could resist a "Jus doooo it" I ordered one lol
The whole nichrome wire thing is largely presented by one particular ham who possesses notoriety in the hobby. W8JI disagrees quite publicly about its merit.
I think any conductor that suits the builder, especially in amateur service would likely work adequately. I use solid copper wire or tubing. I think the critical thing is the construction more than the material. My buddies who build have experienced oscillations on certain boxes with certain designs of parasitic chokes. Testing, rebuilding its shape and retesting netting us all the shape and size im confident to use and thankfully i have had no issues. Too big of a choke will fuck you, and too small of a choke will do the same thing.
I haven't had it happen to me but a close buddy had a 3cx3000a7 take off on him, and it wasn't fun from what I'm told.
Just remember guys, its not the space shuttle, its a cb/ham amplifier. As @nomadradio told me when i discussed it with him, you need some inductance and some resistance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.