• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp help

I did that once when i was young, i started freaking out. It was only two very fast keys. I got lucky, it didnt hurt anything and the box was fine. Start with visual inspection, if all looks good and you have a lack of test equipment, hook it up and key it. Short quick keys and see what happens.

i dont know that this would have damaged anything.

someone correct me if im wrong here, but it would seem to me that if the input of the amp was connected to the antenna then there would be no RF present and the amp would not have produced any RF power.
LC
I was thinking if the amplifier keyed, it might go into oscillations. So the keying relay would trigger, but as soon as it did, the RF would be gone so it would unkey. Maybe the relay would chatter?

yeah Shadetree i just don't know.

I mean, technically you are trying to feed RF into the collectors of the transistors when you hook it up that way so maybe there is a chance of damage.
LC

As a general rule, what happens when you do this is to make the relay "chatter" or buzz.

When the relay closes, it cuts off the RF drive from the radio to the keying circuit. The relay will "click" and remain energized only until the contacts change over. This removes the radio's drive RF from the RF sensing circuit, because it was traveling through the relay's receive side. This causes the relay to drop back to receive mode. But not for long, because this reconnects the radio's RF through the relay's standby side to the sensing circuit and the cycle repeats. Migh buzz, might "chatter" several times a second.

Can't see how the amplifier would be damaged this way. The radio might not be as forgiving.

To be honest, I don't know what is wrong with it. I tested the diodes (Germanic) & replaced one. Replaced 2 capacitors, couldn't see any burned spots. It just stopped working.

Did you put the meter on ohms and put the leads onto the meter's terminals. One way it will peg to the left. Reverse the leads and it will usually peg to the right.

If the coil in the meter is fried, it won't do anything. And the ohmeter won't show continuity.

Reactions: Critter98

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.