• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amp question for builders

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
i was told the other day while by passing the wimpy fuses inside the amp to also take braided shield from RG8 ( i have rolls of it ) and strap the transistors to the ground wire inside the amp? can i ask why a Texas Star didn't do this? any real reason why not to do it? any advantages?

Serves no purpose other than when a builder uses inferior boards with thin traces in circuit to help the output transistors emitters make contact to ground.

Pretty much snake oil and makes if even more difficult to remove blown transistor.:censored:

Yup Mack hit it dead on. As long as the proper board was used, no difference. The only time it would help is when the circuit board is really thin copper plate or when the traces are really small. Seen some boards, the ground traces weren't much more than an 1/8" wide. In that case, it may have helped. And yes, it is a pain when you have to pull it to replace the pills/ transistors.

thanks mack, and Crusher.
the texas star uses small traces on the board. how ever there grounded. so sounds more like i'm being told to snake oil my amp.

thanks mack, and Crusher.
the texas star uses small traces on the board. how ever there grounded. so sounds more like i'm being told to snake oil my amp.

The circuitry inside the transistor will fail long before it's path to ground through the collector tabs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned