• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amps and ECU/ECM interference

johnecashflo

Wish I Was Here
Mar 26, 2007
INDIANA
can anyone tell me if this is a truth or a myth? and if it is true is there anyway to stop it from happening..im thinking about getting a 4 pill for my truck (2010 Mack) but im worried about spiking the computer with stray RF..and also does the RF find its way to the computer from the power leads or from the RF transmitted from the antenna? thanks for any input

can anyone tell me if this is a truth or a myth? and if it is true is there anyway to stop it from happening..im thinking about getting a 4 pill for my truck (2010 Mack) but im worried about spiking the computer with stray RF..and also does the RF find its way to the computer from the power leads or from the RF transmitted from the antenna? thanks for any input

It may or may not find it's way to the ECM and if it does it may come in on the power or control lines or directly from RF from the antenna penetrating the case of the ECM unit. In other words, every case is different and this is where good RFI suppression skills comes in handy. Probably not what you want to hear but that's just the way it goes. I have seen what appear to be identical installs with one causing interference and the other not. Good grounding goes a long way in preventing RFI.

It may or may not find it's way to the ECM and if it does it may come in on the power or control lines or directly from RF from the antenna penetrating the case of the ECM unit. In other words, every case is different and this is where good RFI suppression skills comes in handy. Probably not what you want to hear but that's just the way it goes. I have seen what appear to be identical installs with one causing interference and the other not. Good grounding goes a long way in preventing RFI.

You also have to consider electrical needs of your vehicle. The ECM as well as other components need to run at certain voltages. On General Motors vehicles you can inquire as to what you can hookup to your vehicle and how. Will what you add mess with your airbag system. Keep any wires you add away from that system as well.

Last edited:
You also have to consider electrical needs of your vehicle. The ECM as well as other components need to run at certain voltages. On General Motors vehicles you can inquire as to what you can hookup to your vehicle and how. Will what you add mess with your airbag system. Keep any wires you add away from that system as well.

As stated it's a 4 pill in a Mack truck. There should be no supply issues whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 person
thanks for the info..my mind is eased alittle..i was going to solder all connections and run the power leads thru the floor panel access as far away from the ECU as i can get them..use the shortest ground lead as i can and use the best coax i can afford..BTW the ECU on the Mack is mounted on the engine if that helps with any info..thanks again

As long as he does a proper quality install. No crimping wires, electrical tape, skinny wire and so on.

Those would really be installation issues not supply issues. I was referencing the post above that regarding checking whether or not the vehicle was capable of supplying the required voltage and current.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.