• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anderson Power Poles... Where you been all my life?

I hear you. I have used a few of them but really need to convert everything over to them. What did you get for a crimp tool? I have just been using a Panduit multi-purpose crimper tool and dropping a bit of solder on them too. I like soldered connections and find it REALLY REALLY hard to give it up. ;)

I got one of these. I crimp it flat, then crimp from the sides. I also touch it up with solder. I'd like to have the regular ratcheting crimpers, but didn't want to shell out that much $$$. Not sure, but maybe I can get a die set for my coax crimper.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=261233348616

MFJ sells these:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamps/3816.html

I'll keep an eye out at hamfests for one. However, these pliers do the job. Soldering them provides additional comfort. I want to make some adapters to series a couple batteries. Definitely going to swap out mobile leads in my car.

My next purchase is a distribution panel.

:)
They are nice, aren't they? I've used them for a year or two, beginning with the crimper you have. I later got the one that's made for them and there's a world of difference. You can't go wrong with that on.
PowerWerx also have multi-connection doohickies, a power distribution type thingy. That is a much nicer way of making multiple connection to something, or a central power source rather than a bunch of pig-tails off of the same terminal(s).
They come in various sizes but I find the 45 amp power-pole connectors will work with almost anything. The last time or two I got the connectors in the hundred count bag, wish I'd gotten two or three bags!
Need a gang of 3, 4, or who knows how many connections all in one 'piece'? Those things can be combined in a number of different ways, top, bottom, and both sides.
You're right! They are really nice...
- 'Doc

I just use a Panduit CT-100A crimper like this one. It works great but I should get a better one made specifically for Power=Poles.

large_8469_ct100a.jpg

I got 15, 30 and 45 amp poles. The 15 amp poles are a little tricky to get just right with the crimpers I have.

I'm quickly realizing that the recommended crimpers are going to be a necessity, especially if you are going to use a bunch of 'em.

I think it would be worth the investment.

Reactions: Slowmover
'Q-tip'? Or maybe toothpick, or just super glue the silly thing! Whatever works. I've also used the commercial thingy that holds two connectors together, or used a zip tie. It's what works. Doesn't have to be pretty...
- 'Doc

They also come in red/black bonded pairs so no glue needed.

Tim

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Power Poles

No need of the roll pins, glue or anything else, they snap together as is. I also don't use solder but can understand a person wanting to.

I've had 4 Ham radios, an Optima & a Hear It speaker equipped w/PP's for close to a year w/absolutely no problems. Like M42, wish I'd started using them long ago!

Geoff S.

That was my point. "What works"

Toothpick for a horse might be big enough.
Lets see... super glue, use once and throw away, but next time its hard to the bottom of the tube.
Commercial thingy... Metal, do I want that coming loose in my power distribution system.
Zip tie... Been there done that until the power taps had the PP spaced nearly next to one another and I had to cut the zip tie.

Person tries to make a constructive addition and you come along with your edgy comments.

'Doc your crap gets old quick...

Don't waste the bandwidth to respond, I'm gone...

Mike, KE5MC

'Q-tip'? Or maybe toothpick, or just super glue the silly thing! Whatever works. I've also used the commercial thingy that holds two connectors together, or used a zip tie. It's what works. Doesn't have to be pretty...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned