• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

another 897d power question

bytor

Aug 2, 2008
hello,
i am interested in getting a yeasu 897d. i did a search to see other ways to power the rig as a mobile. i have a couple of sealed 12v 18ah batteries. my question is best way to plug them into radio. is there a factory adapter that will allow me to connect to my own batteries. any ideas. thanks.

The radio comes with a connector that just has regular power wires that have bare ends. You can attach whatever you want to the end of them to connect to a regular battery. You can even just leave them bare and strip back the shielding to wrap them around the terminals.

Sometimes when I take my 897d with me in the RV and I don't have AC power, I use this power cord along with a set of long jumper cables and just clamp the jumper cables to the RV house batteries with the other end attached to the wire leads.

The 897D isn't the fanciest base radio, but it sure is one of the most versatile, especially considering that you get HF/6m/2/440 all in one nice portable package!

thank you sir..:tongue: now to start saving the bucks. my whole set up was about $2300.00. this was with all the power options and a set of buddiepoles, ldg tuner and ft meter. i could trim a few hundred bucks by using my own batteries.....got to love this hobby of ours.

another question does the radio have a built in circuit that will safely shut down the radio when you use alternate batteries and they start to get low.

The manual says that the minimum voltage required is 11.73 volts. Below that, the radio will probably just shut down when you try to transmit. It shouldn't hurt anything, but here's what the manual says:

"When operating with the vehicle turned off, or operating from a stand-alone car battery (in a camp site, etc.), be mindful of the minimum operating voltage (11.73 Volts) for the FT-897D. If the battery is not charged sufficiently to maintain at least 11¾ Volts at the radio, erratic operation or shut-down may occur."

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.