• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another amplifier question

I do not know....

w1.png

I dont have any pictures of my 40012 anymore, but it did ( do not know if they have changed anything) not have any thermal tracking ( diode across the transistor/on heatsink) so as the amp heats up the bias current would drift.
Exit13 has a thread here:http://www.worldwidedx.com/home-brew/138726-x-force-amp-finished.html where he re-worked his amp to clean up the output.
Texas star has their problems as well, you have to remember these are CB style AMPs
My xforce amp had plenty of padding to allow you to drive the dog snot out of it, but as the peak numbers went up it would start to get raspy on SSB.
The power supply would pull down to about 17 volts or so under load.
I do not think they are still running the same transformers, but mine had taps on both transformers in the power supply that you could change to get the higher voltage.
Frank is the one who told me I could switch taps, but you really need all your ducks in a row if you start running the 2879s that hard or you will roast something.
Running the high taps and driving hard I could see over 1KW on a Palstar peak reading meter out of 4 2879s........
At that point one of the rectifiers failed.
Carl sent me new ones for no charge after I called and talked to him on the phone.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
I have a magnaforce 350hd, use it just about daily, and my radio is the magnum 257hp. I set my dead key to 2 watts. Amps keys up at 100-120 watts and swings to 350-400 watts. Great little amp, have made many contacts with this setup and have had no issues with the amp. The TNT 350HD is basically the same amp. Here are a couple of photos
zyze2y5y.jpg
yretu9eg.jpg

I loved those amps. At one time or another I owner a MagnaForce 100,200, and 350. The 350 rocked. The replacement TnT line from X-Force is good, they did make a small change that I don't like. They went to an auto SSB delay on the smaller models and added a pre-amp. I prefer the switched delay like the MagnaForce has.

I love mine and have made many contacts with it!! Best 80 dollars I have spent for radio gear!!!

Do they use a dpdt like TS and ride the RF on the bias supply, or do they use a 3pdt and keep them separate?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.