• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Phantom Question

Atlasta

May 7, 2011
Recently I came into possession of a minty 10-tube triple-stage Phantom (tan model) and yes there are problems with it. Specifically:

1) Even with 10 tubes showing over 90% emission I can't seem to get more than 400 watts out of it and on-air reports indicate that I sound a bit off-frequency.(!) Input power is approx 4 w AM. I have followed all recommended tuning procedures as detailed in the original manual from D&A. Additionally, when using an external meter it shows a downward swing.

2) A previous owner did a bit of work on it by replacing the original power level switches with 3 way switches. Depending on the position of the switches it operates on very low (< 100w) medium (around 200 w) or high ( 400 w). In certain positions the relays engage but there is no output at all.

3) The sideband delay sticks for about half a second after unkeying.

4) The preamp when switched ON actually has the opposite effect of REDUCING receiver sensitivity. Not much of an issue since most of the preamps on these old D&A amps never really worked anyway but I've never seen one that makes it worse when it's turned on!

5) When tuning up the meters peg hard all the way to the right.

A close visual inspection of the chassi does not show any obviously failed components. It doesn't smell as if the magic smoke has been let out of anything, nothing looks overly sweated or abused, however I may or may not have heard something go POP during the initial tuning. Again nothing on top or underneath appears damaged but there are some disc caps underneath the tubes that look as if they are bubbling a bit and there are a couple of large disc caps topside that are connected to the tuning coil that don't look quite right.

All I have done to it is replace the tubes, dust off the chassi and replace the 3 prong plug as a previous owner had removed the ground lug.

I'm very limited on test equipment and HV experience but know enough NOT to go poking around inside this thing without taking the proper precautions.

I have numerous photos of the unit and will post them if requested.

Doubt that the amp is causing you to be off-freq.
I would suspect your Siltronix VFO for that.

Working on any tube amp without knowledge of working on high voltage circuits is akin to suicide.
Either take it to a tech that has the required experience; or leave the innards alone until you can find a tech to do it.

No reason that the preamp shouldn't work.
Sounds like this unit has many different issues.
Tubes gone soft, power supply problems, sagging voltage from where it plugs into the wall, or all of these.

Okay, I've traced the problem of my sounding off frequency to a dying D-104. I was never actually off freq, people said it sounded that way. Mike has been replaced and that problem at least is gone.

No doubt this unit has issues - maybe that's WHY it's in such good condition for being as old as it is!!

Given my lack of equipment and experience there is no way I'm going to go deeply exploring inside this beast. But I do want to get it working properly. Now who knows a good tube amp guy?

Are you talking 400w PEP or dead-key? I used to tune my triple stage by tuning for PEP, a steady AAAHHHHH and tune for max on external meter. I got 700w PEP with a 300w dead-key.

Are you talking 400w PEP or dead-key? I used to tune my triple stage by tuning for PEP, a steady AAAHHHHH and tune for max on external meter. I got 700w PEP with a 300w dead-key.

400w was dead key. When modulating I noticed the external meter swung downward toward 300. The meters on the amp itself remain pegged.

I can't understand why the previous owner put in two three way switches for the power level. Wouldn't one 3- way (lo, med, hi) have been more appropriate and easier to wire?

I got into it again and found two bad tubes. Replacing those brought my average tube condition down to about 85%. I also noticed that one of the relays has a tendency to alternately stick or spark excessively.

Before I spend a bunch of money retubing this thing I want to make sure that all the supporting circuits are up to par. Fortunately I have other amps to use so I can take my time with this one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.