• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Solar Flare - Impact expected afternoon of Jan. 22

BC Coyote

Oct 17, 2023
A long duration solar flare and associated CME happened on January 20 and is expected to have impacts starting tomorrow afternoon Jan. 22
among those impacts mentioned is "Radio – HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes".
Also potential impacts to power grids & satellites as well as the possibility of Aurora's at lower than normal latitudes....

Radio conditions here today have been miserable compared to the excellent conditions yesterday, so we may already be experiencing the effects of this.

When I got up this morning the radio room was cold and it was suppose to stay that way today so I turned a little heater on 68 degrees F and turned on my Cobra 2000 and let it run all day just to warm it up and monitor as I went about my work. 37 LSB It was busy all day and I still hear it active. So I guess it's good on this end, but I'll be listening tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the heads up !

That reminds me, I'm also selling lightning protection hats. They are similar to the CME protection hats, but they come with a heavy-duty grounding wire that is designed to burn through upon the beginning of a lightning strike, allowing you to experience the full thrill of the lighting bolt going right through you. Same contact info as the CME hats.

This latest flare seems to be a nothing-burger as far as radio goes. Conditions here are about the same as they have been for the last week or so, which is pretty good.
Still making lots of contacts......for some reason Alaska stations have been really strong lately, and are in all day here. Always good to talk to the folks way up there!

Last night we had short skip to California and some other western states. I didn't partake as I was working in the shop and just had the radio on for background noise, but it sure was nice hearing life on the radio after 6pm LOL! First time we've had nightime skip in a long long time.

This latest flare seems to be a nothing-burger as far as radio goes. Conditions here are about the same as they have been for the last week or so, which is pretty good.
Still making lots of contacts......for some reason Alaska stations have been really strong lately, and are in all day here. Always good to talk to the folks way up there!

Last night we had short skip to California and some other western states. I didn't partake as I was working in the shop and just had the radio on for background noise, but it sure was nice hearing life on the radio after 6pm LOL! First time we've had nightime skip in a long long time.
Yeah my skip has been running until 7:30-8:eek:o PM also. My Cobra 2000 has been Jabbering all day but just listen because I have to Apply myself and get my Winter re-model jobs done because when Spring breaks I shift into outdoors get the equipment ready mode. No Rest for the Wicked ! LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.