• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna 101?

Peter Walker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 23, 2011
I apologize if this has been asked before. I looked through a handful of pages of previous posts but did not find what I am looking for. I am completely new to amateur radio and am looking at my alternatives for an antenna. I may wind up going with multiple antenna's. I'm not sure yet. Anyway, what I'm wondering, is there any tutorial or anything like that which explains antenna's in layman's terms? I understand some of the more technical stuff, but really need to learn it from the basics up.

It was suggested by a local operator that I put a dipole antenna up in my attic but I don't know exactly what I need as far as wire and hardware to accomplish this. A friend suggested I make a 10 meter Quad, I found plans for a 2 meter Quad, and I've been looking into All Band antenna's but haven't found anything that I understand. Would someone mind helping a complete newbie work through this?

What bands/modes/times of day operating/ styles of operation (DX vs. ragchew) are you interested in?

Try the ARRL Antenna Handbook. It has lots of good ideas and also contains the theory behind antennas and feedlines.

ARRL :: Antennas :: The ARRL Antenna Book

X2 The ARRL also offers books that contain various antenna designs and instructions on how to build them. Another option is to do an online search for the particular type of antenna you want to build, such as a dipole. There are several websites offering antenna information. Here are a couple examples:

N4UJW ANTENNA DESIGN LAB - Ham Radio Antennas - Design 0r Build Your own Ham Radio Antenna

David Stansbury, KB3KAI - Ham Radio, Computer Tech
(look under projects)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.