• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna & mount for an E series cargo van?

Chewwy

Feb 3, 2012
My friend drives a fairly new E series cargo van. Were trying to come with ideas on where and what kind of antenna to put on it. I would think the roof would be to high do to the vehicles height. (right? maybe)

He's not going to be running power, just wants to talk to me locally but doesn't want a shitty compromise setup either.

Maybe something off his front bumper on one side? Maybe a hood mount of some sort? (Like a comet or diamond?)

I told him a hood lip mount with a 5' firestick II might work?

What would you do?

Oh yeah, the height of his van is exactly 82.6'' or 6.88'

Shit, maybe that would leave him enough room to puck his room and get an antenna there?

What to do?

I have a Nisan nv work van and am using a mag mount k40 on top, just ordered a sirio pl 5000 performer and mag mount, works great on top, kind of high but works awesome with the extra height.

If he doesn't have to contend with low over-heads, the roof of the van would be a preferred mounting place. But, that isn't always practical (at least not around here), so what would be a second choice would seem to be the hood of that van as you suggested. I have a feeling that hood mount is probably more common than not. Won't be 'ideal', but it should work.
I have a feeling that if the antenna was inconspicuous it would probably be 'better', wouldn't 'stand-out' like some will. Which antenna would that be? Beats me! There are a number around so take your pick.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

I have seen a few mounts for the hood. They all seem to have a small L shaped piece of metal. On another forum u saw one that was mounted on the left front hood/bumper area. Said it made it directional, but that it worked okay.

And oh yes, I have had my run ins with trees, low bridges and everything else that seems to jump out at the mag mount lol. My k40 is okay but u just ordered a sirio performer 5000 with mag mount. Going to be a tall setup, my van is right at 8ft 9" at the top. Makes for a nice long ground plane. Good luck with whatever you end up using and god bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.