• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antennas for MURS/GMRS

We use a simple copper J-pole for our family communications on the MURS Band and I talk right at 12 miles from base to mobile at work w/the wife. Using rat-shack's business band
mobiles on both ends w/4-watts out.I sure like it.No-one round
here using MURS yet. I get a lil skip now and then,but that's it!
Slim CDX285

I ran into the centerfire antennas, price is right and 6 db gain is good, seem adequate to me. 3 element should get one 20 plus miles under normal conditions.

doctor/795

Comet makes an antenna called a GP9NC that is dual band VHF/UHF and covers both MURS and GMRS bands. They are a little pricey, but I bet they do a nice job if you get them up nice and high. I'm eventually going to get one and probably replace my discone with it, and put the discone in the attic.

I found the centerfire isnt to good on murs group, the best some say is arrow antenna company who make a heavy duty yagi, j pole or ground plane for murs, cost is around sixty for the yagi, and less for the rest...
DOCTOR/795

I use a MFJ-1764 2 / 6 Meter dual band antenna, weird little antenna but I get a 1:5:1 SWR or better from 143.5 to 151.0 MHZ(48.1 to 55.3on 6 meters).

On MURS ch. 1 and 2 it's 1:7.1, been using a ft-1802 there for 1 1/2 years with no problems.

Looks good to me..
I am looking for a 2 mtr radio now which has been modified for mars/cap, and presume that will xmit on the murs frequency, had never thought of that, and a low cost way to go...any comments

doctor/795

Most VHF radios when moded can easily go to MURS
if memory serves me
MURS is around 154 mhz

2 mts is 144 to 148

so a radio not need go too far to handle murs

stay with the major ham radio companies though
you may have problems with some of the motorola type radios getting them moded depending on model

I got one an Alinco modified and it is on the frequency after being modded, it will be here next week.......was an easy way to go.

I have to sit back and chuckle, on the MURS group always same guy jumping in and saying never, never can you use above 2 watts, like some people jump in on the cb forums and say no to amps and quote the regs.

No havent heard anything on MURS at all..

DOCTOR/795

Sure that's legal, but you'll need to make sure the VSWR isn't too high when you go up there. I made a vertical dipole out of coffee cans once that had enough bandwidth to handle both MURS and 2m.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.