• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antron 99

loosecannon said:
i do have to say PA629, that im told that the imax will beat the top one if the imax is mounted at 30' or higher to the base.
and with the GPK, the imax is a great DX antenna. (without it too)

so, consider the ease of installation, price, and the height you can mount the antenna at.

one thing i will say, is that i believe that in a windy environment, the top one has the advantage because it wraps itself around the mast, with only 4 feet of it extending above the mast.

now that you are totally undecided,
later,
LC
LOL

LC-
I suspect you're correct about the imax outperforming the top one, but I only use my omni for general monitoring. I'm a little south of the city, so if I choose to talk to any of the locals, I just swing my quad that way and be done with it. They're all pretty much in the same general direction so it works out fine. I'll have a horizontal yagi on tower #2 next spring/summer for DX, so all bases should be covered. 8)

Booty M.',
I'm afraid that hoop on the bottom of the A.P. has no affect as far as horizontal polarization, or radiating any horizontal signal. The antenna is still vertically polarized. If some small section of an antenna happens to be horizontal rather than vertical, it doesn't necessarily change the antenna's polarization. If a very large percentage of the antenna is horizontal rather than vertical, then sure,it can change the polarization, just like tilting the thing over 90 degrees will. Do the horizontal radials on a groundplane mean that the antenna is horizontally polarized? No, and that little hoop being horizontal doesn't either. Doing away with that little hoop all together wouldn't make much, if any, -practical- electrical difference. Probably as much difference as painting the thing green.
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
Doing away with that little hoop all together wouldn't make much, if any, -practical- electrical difference. Probably as much difference as painting the thing green.
Wrong. You would open the circuit to the rest of the antenna!

I'd have to agree with Master Chief. Looking at the feedpoint arrangement, I'm reminded of a J-pole. The coax center conductor directly feeds the lower vertical members and the circular hoop which join with the shield on the other side of the feedpoint assembly. Without that you won't be heard very far for very long (nor will you be able to hear very much).

You're both right, I didn't say that properly. If the 'hoop' was reconfigured to another shape (vertical/slopping/whatever) and still made the same electrical connections, ~then~ it's shape, the horizontal 'hoop' thingy, would no longer be 'horizontal' and would still accomplish the same thing. Or, to change it a little more. If the vertical pole going through that 'hoop' were changed so that it had a fairly large hole through it, the 'hoop' could be changed to a straight wire/tube going through that 'hole' and accomplish the same thing.
Beetle has it about right, the thing is basically the same thing as a 'J' pole.
- 'Doc

Well....IMHO an A99 is simply put an end fed dipole held vertical by the fiberglass.

It has been my experience most of the bleeding caused by a99s is from Rf radiating on the outside shield of the coax from the lack of radials.

The A99 makes an adequate tree mounted stealth antenna IF you can cure the coax radition problem. This can be accomblished with ferrites clamped on the coax at the feedpoint or that thingy made by DX Engineering.

Again - this is my experience, I don't claim to actually know anything. ;)

Lazybones1222 said:
Well....IMHO an A99 is simply put an end fed dipole held vertical by the fiberglass.
Nope. Its an end fed half wave, not a dipole.

Use a choke balun at the base and the CMCs go away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.