• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any more on Mike of Mike's Radio Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I sent him a email a couple weeks ago, which he never answered. I sort of expected that from what I read in the forums from other operators

Reactions: Brother DXer
I don't know. He pissed me off royally when he ghosted me. I was a very good customer of his. Sent him about 4 radios (Yaesus) or more that all needed a fair amount of work. I paid immediately and spread his name all over. I also had a huge box of older crystals and other antique parts that I sent him for free because I thought he'd have a use for them. Then, I wanted to send him my FT-990 for a good tune up and alignment and haven't heard from him since. Not even the courtesy to tell me he's not working any longer, or he has issues, or anything. No explanation. Just ghosted. Not the way I'm used to doing business.

Found this on his patreon page. I'm not sure how old this is, and if this is the reason he's not been seen. But it was out there..

"Hello this is Mike of Mikes Radio Repair. Any support I can get will greatly help me in my goal of doing a complete electronics course on YouTube. I will be cutting my work load in half to make time to do this course so I am going to loose a lot of income in this endeavor. Any support will help to finance the course, materials and supplies I will need create this course. The course will be free for anyone who wants to take it so your support will be helping out others to."

Last edited:
Found this on his patreon page. I'm not sure how old this is, and if this is the reason he's not been seen. But it was out there..

"Hello this is Mike of Mikes Radio Repair. Any support I can get will greatly help me in my goal of doing a complete electronics course on YouTube. I will be cutting my work load in half to make time to do this course so I am going to loose a lot of income in this endeavor. Any support will help to finance the course, materials and supplies I will need create this course. The course will be free for anyone who wants to take it so your support will be helping out others to."

That was up there for a few years already. From what I understand, he had taken some donations and the course never came to fruition.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Something fairy major had to have happened, but no excuse for not returning customers' radios, fixed or not. I'm going to try to connect with him via QRZ or maybe bump into him on 2 meters, and see if I can find anything out.

After he tried to drain me of over 350.00 to repair my johnson 4740, I kinda lost respect for him plus he seems to be a bit of a conspiracy whack job.

After he tried to drain me of over 350.00 to repair my johnson 4740, I kinda lost respect for him plus he seems to be a bit of a conspiracy whack job.

Truthfully, I never had an issue with his prices or down time. I always got my stuff back within 2 weeks and it was fixed perfectly. Pricing was much less than I expected.

Well when you live on a limited income 350.00 to fix a radio is ridiculous. I never aasked him to restore the damn thing but he did anyways even after i said no. Really kinda pissed me off.

Reactions: whiteastro
Hi Gang,
I will cautiously chime in here as I don't want to fuel anyone who is angry. When you have someone that you are engaged with in life whether its freinds, family or a service person like Mike and you see them go from one extreme to another I think that lends itself to a logical conclusion. Something happened. In Mike's case I have no idea what that would be but I do believe that he hit some kind of wall. If you spend enough time watching YT videos you will notice that the creators will ocassionally adrress the "haters" that comment on their videos. I think it must really get under their skin that people will say the most awful things. With that in mind, read some of the comments in Mike's videos. They are absoulty awful. He never said anything to me directly about that but it is interesting that he quit YT and seemingly his repair business at the same time. I have been in his presence a few times and he was a good guy. He is super smart and his radio repair skills were amazing. In fact, he repaired a few radios for me and would even answer some of my questions when I started working on radios. He even mentioned it in one of his videos. I do know that over the last year or two before he went "off the air" (per se) he spent a lot of time supporting his family with some fairly extreme needs they had. I have not heard of anyone who never got their radios back and that is a shame if that is really the case. This year I had someone local to me ask me to look at one of thier radios and I had to tell them that I would not have time for a few months as I was booked (also, I have a full time job). When I had an opening I let him know and he told me that he was able to get Mike to fix it. That was this year. Of course we had a lot of discussion around how that happened but he told me that he called him and Mike picked up. I of course immediately reached out to Mike to say hi but he never responded. I guess I don't understand why he fixed a locals radio but he would not finish one he had and return it. I've got nothing. I for one just hope he is ok.

5+ years ago I sent Mike a Lincoln II for some warranty work. I had watched most of Mike's videos by then and was super glad that he would be doing the repairs. We spoke on the phone for nearly an hour talking about mods for the radio and just radio-in-general. I thoroughly enjoyed the rag chew with him and found him to be a stand-up guy. He did the repair and one mod, charging me exactly as quoted and had the radio back to me in under a week after he received it. I couldn't have asked for better service.

I liked Mike because of his intelligence and his scruples, and because he's one of the few techs whose world didn't revolve around making a Bird 43 swing. His knowledge and skills seemed to be miles beyond most of the standard YouTube techs. His aim was to make your radio work to the best of its ability, not see how many watts it could splatter up the spectrum with garbage audio. That's fairly rare now days and doesn't seem to be what most people are looking for, they're mainly caught up in the Bird 43 swing.

If I ever need service on any of my amateur stuff, I'll be wishing Mike was who I could send it to. If he's really thrown in the towel it's a shame and waste of a very good talent. I wish him well with whatever he's doing.

7 3

Just "weighing in" one more time..... on the very last video he was showing off a new toy that he got..... a new transceiver service tester. He was talking about everything that it would do, everything that it would "automate"... he made it sound like a God-send. He also commented that THIS was going to open new doors for him in the services he could offer... including types of radios he could work on.

I find myself wondering if he just got tired of the YouTube "rat race" and moved on into another phase of business? As good as I believe he was.... he may still be doing service but either for different parts of the business or "under contract" to someone as a warranty service tech.

I haven't had any bad experiences such as some of you have had... but I learned an awful lot watching his vids. I do miss that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.