• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any of you guys drill through Bakelite electronics cover? Advice

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So my high voltage multi-meter is in fantastic shape but takes expensive often hard to find 30V batteries.

I was thinking about using a DC-DC bucking transformer to either use a conventional 9V battery or use a cheap 12V powersupply to replace the 30V battery.

While I grew up with Bakelite still in common use growing up I never had any need to drill through it.

If I use a 9 volt battery I can always use double sided tape or epoxy to put a battery holder and transformer into the case wit no need to drill any holes.

If I use an 12 volt power supply I need to be able to put a cord and at the very least a grommet through the case.

The meter is a Triplett 630-PL Type 4 Suspension I use it when I work on tube amps which is seldom. I waste more money on batteries just to have on hand that just go bad. I know when I was teenager they used to sell battery eliminator kits that came with a polycarbonate case and transformer and all the stuff to convert these.

Thanks in advance!

Previously I was going to do the 3x9 volt battery mod. I had been just using the 30V batteries since they where still available from Eveready and Excell but now not so much. They have also gotten expensive! Oh how I miss the days of RadioShack pre-cell phone and Chinese toys!

I use this meter like once ever 2-3 years. It is always used on my bench or in the kitchen so portability is not an issue. It is a fantastic meter. Taking 3 9 volts in and out of it constantly would be likewise inconvenient.

Love the meter. They should have given it a battery box that was externally accessible with the need for a 30V and 1.5V battery!

I know the meter. In fact I have one as well. Great for anything up to 5000 volts. You can certainly drill bakelite but you should go slow. Any drill bit will work but using a drill bit meant for drilling glass is probably the best way. Less chance of it catching or breaking out around the edges.

Reactions: unit_399
I want to echo what Cap'n Kilo posted. Make sure you have a sharp bit, and go
SLOW. Don't apply pressure, especially just before you break through. Let the drill do the work. Too fast or too much pressure, you’ll knock out a chunk. If possible, use a drill press.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Very sharp bit. I would use an old fashion hand drill. Slow and steady like the other gentleman mentioned. Bakelite brings back memories. My uncle had a Stevens side by side 12 gauge with a Bakelite stock. Kicked like a mule.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.