• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

any other antenna lengths beside 102 that dont need a coil ?

i will let ya know when i have fixed up the 7/8 with some decent tubing and done some more detailed tests and im fully happy that the results are repeatable.

Cool! Make sure you get someone with a real good meter, no uniden crap, at 5 / 20 / 35 / 70-100 miles so we know how the differing take-off angles come into play.

It would be good to slip an Astro Plane & Starduster or other 1/4 wave in there just for grits n shins.

it would be great to try an astroplane no doubt, i cant get an original here and the crappy top-one wont stand the weather plus i hate the corrugated tubing its garbage, looks like i mat have to make my own astro, it may just be the antenna of choice under my current mounting restrictions,
past tests have been done with ft990's and other radios usually at night so we dont get any agc action from locals.

bob85 if you (or someone else) gets a chance to test/try an astroplane could you try a 102 whip in place of the t-hat on top . ive read a few places that it improves its performance . if someone here has already tried that could you post your results/opinion on the difference if there is any ?

thanks .

BM, the way the top element attaches on mine would likely make it impossible to fit a SS whip in that area unless an addaptor of some sort was made. The threaded area is embeded in an insulator that sits inside the mount.

Bob could remove the top hat and maybe attach the wires vertically to the bottom element with a couple of hose clamps and it might be long enough to make a fully vertical 1/4 element. Of course you might have to adjust the wire lenght a bit at the hose clamps to tune it, if these wires were long enough to start with.

The AP driven element of the AP Beam uses a single vertical piece in the top if you could find an old beam and the part would fit.

BOOTY MONSTER said:
bob85 if you (or someone else) gets a chance to test/try an astroplane could you try a 102 whip in place of the t-hat on top . ive read a few places that it improves its performance . if someone here has already tried that could you post your results/opinion on the difference if there is any ?

thanks .

Now that would be an odd looking sucker. Has anyone heard of this mod having been done and what it did for the pattern / performance?

Thanks MC for the info on the I-10K. I can't figure out how to quote more than one at a time without copy / paste...?

never tried it but its mentioned in the astroplane patent. they seem to make contradicting claims about bandwidth and performance, maybe its just me not reading it correctly ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.