• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any way to improve Galaxy DX99V on SSB?

wulff

Aug 19, 2011
I have used an HR 2510 for years but recently gave it to my brother who is recovering from chemo to get him interested in radio again.
I bought a non-working Galaxy 99V off eBay that was non-working and fixed it.
I also have a Washington Base with one of those old UFO VFO's for a base but for a mobile I have a Cobra 148 that I modded for mor freqs.
But most of my talking is on SSB, does anyone know of a way to 'tighten up' a Galaxy on SSB? is it a regulator issue?
I haven't used it enough to experience SSB drift (I live in Arizona so maybe it stays warm enough, LOL).
I have a built-in amp on the Galaxy so it puts out about 40 watts on AM and I love the ease of 'going anywhere' a luxury we didn't have back in the 1970's as VFO's was too 'dirty' to use.
Bottom line, other than the BS stupid 'Robot Voice' (who thought this stupid thing up?) I would love to use the Galaxy 99V on SSB if possible.
Thanks in advance all!
PS, I only paid $35 for it and the problem was someone hooked up the added on amp wrong, took 15 minutes to fix it.

The best SSB mod for a Galaxy ANYTHING Export radio is sell it and buy a processor controlled radio. That or get and old school Uniden built SSB radio. Just being honest if you like to talk alot of SSB.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been using the 99V in my mobile for the last four years. I could put the Magnum S-45 OmegaForce in there; but I have not found a reason to yet. The Galaxy has been doing just fine as it is. I aligned it and modified the receive circuit only, as there are no mods for it to improve the SSB stability. I just take it in stride that it takes ten minutes or more to reach stability.

Works great. I like the larger meter when on the road and AM and SSB RX/TX are both fine. After all, if you are going somewhere that takes longer than ten minutes to get there; then I wouldn't worry about it too much - IMO. When I drive between CA and IA, I have the radio on for hours on end. What is ten minutes compared to that? Sure a CPU controlled radio is more stable on SSB; go that way if you must.

Last edited:
Keep the limiter intact and properly align the radio. This will likely be all that is needed. However, If you want the best this radio is capable of stability wise, build an oven. This will essentially give you a TCXO........of sorts. By heating the crystals and vco componets, they will be less susceptible to temperature variations. You can use plumber heat tape(ensure it is DC not AC type) or get 28-30 gauge transformer wire(coated copper wire) and build tight wraped coils around or on top of components. Some people even insulate components with cotton balls to keep any cool air from blowing over them. Be sure to install a variable resistor to set voltage and temperature and some sort of current limiting device so you can protect against shorts.

Thanks for the info guys! I usually turn on my radios as soon as I get in the car and my base I usually leave on all the time.
I have a thermometer (Fluke Brand) and it was 140 deg F in my car with the windows up yesterday LOL!! So I kinda live in an oven.
What area did you suggest building an 'oven' for? Around the VCO section?
I liked my 2510 but gave it to my brother or I would use that, for the base I have the old-school Washington with the VFO that I leave on and it seems pretty stable (after it warms up).
I guess I can do like was suggested and make sure it is stable by running it for at least 10 minutes before using it.
I haven't aligned it yet so that might be a good idea as was also suggested.
I did have a quick contact (on AM) yesterday from the South Carolina (on a mag-mount mobile in my garage) so the band looks like it is opening up but I want to go upstairs on SSB.
Thanks again guys!
73's

I've been using the 99V in my mobile for the last four years. I could put the Magnum S-45 OmegaForce in there; but I have not found a reason to yet. The Galaxy has been doing just fine as it is. I aligned it and modified the receive circuit only, as there are no mods for it to improve the SSB stability. I just take that part in stride that it takes ten minutes or more to reach stability.

Works great. I like the larger meter when on the road and AM and SSB RX/TX are both fine. After all, if you are going somewhere it takes longer than ten minutes to get there; then I wouldn't worry about it too much - IMO. When I drive between CA and IA, I have the radio on for hours on end. What is ten minutes compared to that? Sure a CPU controlled radio is more stable on SSB; go that way if you must.

During the winter weather months here years ago I ran a Galaxy 88 & 99, you just about had to drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the clarifier. Indoors maybe as a base it would be better.

A local tow truck driver used to run a 98 VHP. He would talk in between calls, every time he keyed up he was off frequency a bit. He would dial it in, talk for 10 minutes and then sounded great. Then he would get out of the truck for 15 minutes, when he got rolling again and keyed up the whole precess would begin all over. He finally learned to listen before he keyed up and would dial us in first, that helped some what. After about 3 months of that he was so fed up he got rid of that sailboat of a radio.

Was the tow truck guy on AM or SSB?
Robb, I was thinking about doing that mod but I found someone else has already done it. It (I have been told) sounds great on AM but I will have to try it on SSB this weekend.
By the way, a guy on Craigslist has a Galaxy Saturn-Turbo he said he bought it and found it didn't work on 125 VAC but the readout came on without speaker sounds and he was able to tune it from 26.000 to 30.000 and know nothing else about it. It is missing the mic.
I have heard the power supply is weak in the Saturn's due to heat but trying to decide if it's worth the $100 he is asking?
Does anyone know if it is relay or electronic switching and does the mic need to be in for speaker to work?
73's
and thanks

I had a Galaxy 77HML and an 88HL

both took a while to warm up, once they did they stayed on frequency. I had a 6 digit counter I attached to the 77HML and for the first 5-15 minutes I would have to adjust it a little bit, but it was fine once it warmed up.

Was the tow truck guy on AM or SSB?
Robb, I was thinking about doing that mod but I found someone else has already done it. It (I have been told) sounds great on AM but I will have to try it on SSB this weekend.
By the way, a guy on Craigslist has a Galaxy Saturn-Turbo he said he bought it and found it didn't work on 125 VAC but the readout came on without speaker sounds and he was able to tune it from 26.000 to 30.000 and know nothing else about it. It is missing the mic.
I have heard the power supply is weak in the Saturn's due to heat but trying to decide if it's worth the $100 he is asking?
Does anyone know if it is relay or electronic switching and does the mic need to be in for speaker to work?
73's
and thanks

This was on SSB, on AM you can be off by a country mile and no one will notice. I figured since we were talking about using a clarifier it was understood we were talken SSB.

I didn't mean any offense, I had an old Royce that was all over the place on AM and hams would always 'politely' let me know, LOL!!!
I figured you meant SSB but asked since most service trucks use AM or FM... but not always I thought I would make sure!
73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.