• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody own a Baofeng UV-5X handheld?

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Some of you may remember back in early May I mentioned a friend out in Fort McMurray Alberta that was evacuated due to the massive fire that swept thru the city. I kept in touch with John and passed whatever info I could back and forth including frequencies used by the various emergency services including the air tankers operating in the area. John was so thankful that he sent me a brand new Baofeng UV-5X to show his appreciation. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but was wondering if anybody has one and how you like it. Also how hard is it to program without software?

Test it out in simplex 146.520mhz (or, whatever Canada's call freq is) and listen for the quality of adjacent freq rejection. The 5R has none to speak of. If yours is better than the original design; then your receiver will block out NOAA weather freqs. Mine hears them on simplex - lol - some 15mhz away.

But it works on repeaters just fine. Still have/use mine for the weekly local net meeting and works without a hitch - IMO. Using a speaker mic with it, a tiger tail cut for 2m, and a Diamond wideband antenna. Cool radio for a low price.

OEM software worked for me.

Last edited:
All of the 5whatevers are the same, just download Chirp and have at it. I have had a UV-5r for three years now and it still works perfect. Programing from the kb an be done but it is tedious at best

Reactions: 2RT307
There are so many variations of these little HT's it's not funny. As w9cll said, they are all basically the same. I found yours here:
Amazon product ASIN B00NUQXVLQ
I am in a metro area, and can easily hit my local club repeater from inside my house with my HT. I have a UV5R, and two UV-82's. They really work great for what they are. I prefer the UV82 because it has a huge chunk of aluminum in it that helps dissipate the heat when I get long winded. (Often). The small UV5* models can get hot, and the display will get a little wonky, and of course your hand will get hot. Still, they work pretty darned good. A flashlight that can help you see at night, and a decent little FM radio built in, plus you can receive weather channels. I use Chirp to program mine, and it's extremely easy. I know you can program them by hand, but it's a chore.

Brett

I will say the antenna that comes with them are crap but plenty of options there.
Just bought a Nagoya NA-24J recently, and it's really nice. Previously used (and still do) the Nagoya 771, which works very good, too. The 24J is really thin, and much lighter than the 771.

Brett

Just bought a Nagoya NA-24J recently, and it's really nice. Previously used (and still do) the Nagoya 771, which works very good, too. The 24J is really thin, and much lighter than the 771.
I use this one - http://www.smileyantenna.com/product-p/27000.htm

Nice thing about Smiley is the base is exchangeable so the antenna can be used with different mounts.

Last edited:
I almost never use an HT except to monitor with and my Kenwood THG-71A works great but I may throw this little one in the truck console just to have something available. Got to program it first.

I use this one - http://www.smileyantenna.com/product-p/27000.htm

Nice thing about Smiley is the base is exchangeable so the antenna can be used with different mounts.

Seems like someone did a thread on these several years back. I didn't have my ticket at the time, and didn't pay it much attention. It's pretty cool that you can do a 1/4 wave on 2 meters and 5/8 wave on 70cm. Plus it works on 220. Not much action on 220 around here, so it's not a big deal for me, but I'm sure it is in other places of the country. Thanks for the link!

Brett

I almost never use an HT except to monitor with and my Kenwood THG-71A works great but I may throw this little one in the truck console just to have something available. Got to program it first.

I always get compliments on mine... audio is crisp and clear. When I run my longer antenna I hit the repeater with full quieting. Some of the guys think I'm on my Kenwood mobile if I don't tell 'em I'm on the HT. :)

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.