• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone else here into building fishing rods?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
So my buddy Mark (Acidrod on the site here) got me into building my own custom fishing rods last year. Damn him...it's addicting. Is anyone else into this?

What materials are you using?

The raw materials are basically a rod blank, grips (cork, hypalon, etc.) reel seat, set of guides, various types, sizes, and colors of thread, butt cap, epoxy, & rod finish. You can make it as simple or decorative as you like based on the various thread techniques.

I would like to make a nice bamboo pole, Nothing fancy, just something with a vintage look.

Start my first vacation soon, getting ready to do some serious fishing. I like to fish and take out the occasional whistle-pig at the same time. My fishing hole is surrounded by large fields.

Plan on doing more fishing this year.

I've been repairing rods for local tackle shops and building custom rods since about 1974. It used to be a sideline business, now I only do a few per year, time permitting.

Just getting into it my self. I've built two so far. It is addicting.

Ooooops.... Sorry, just saw your PM. Been looking from my phone w/o being signed in for over a week. I'll be back to you here in a few.

So my buddy Mark (Acidrod on the site here) got me into building my own custom fishing rods last year. Damn him...it's addicting. Is anyone else into this?

By the way, me introducing you to rod building is just the beginning pay back for talking me into getting my ticket.

^can not stand it^

Here's one I did recently - an 8-17 pound bass Raiders themed rod. I kept everything minimalist to keep it as sensitive as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_4770.JPG
    IMG_4770.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4772.JPG
    IMG_4772.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4773.JPG
    IMG_4773.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG