• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone know what this is??

Anyone know what this is??
picked it up for free ...put it together but,
I don't know what the hell I put together :LOL:
SWR is 2.1 on channel 20 and gets lower above 40 :p

Going to use an antenna matcher for this .. so not a problem
but what is it???
and yes I know, 1 ground plane is half there!!
and there's 3 aerials on the top!

ant2.jpg

im going to guess a hy gain 10 meter antenna, which might explain the SWR readings.
just a guess.
loosecannon

looks like a hygain CLR2 to me

http://www.retrocom.com/ad's&flyers/HY-GAIN%20COLINEAR%20CLR-2%20AD%20ANTENNA.jpg

http://www.retrocom.com/ad's&flyers/HY-GAIN%20ANTENNAS%202.jpg

yep, HyGain CLR2 or RS knockoff. be careful as it has a printed circuit board shunt matching coil and won't handle much over 100W. the vertical element should measure 19' 10 3/4" and you might want to double check the length if you're having swr problems. the vertical element appears to be a little short though it's difficult to tell from that angle. if: "SWR is 2.1 on channel 20 and gets lower above 40" then it's too short.

between the years of 68 - 70 i worked all 50 states using one of those at 40 feet to the feed with a 40 CH. RS Navaho Base and no amplifier. my first experience and one of my most memorable.

freecell said:
between the years of 68 - 70 :shock: i worked all 50 states using one of those at 40 feet to the feed with a 40 CH. RS Navaho Base and no amplifier. my first experience and one of my most memorable.

Must have had a time machine to have had a 40 channel CB back then. :p

Rich

Hamin' X said:
freecell said:
between the years of 68 - 70 :shock: i worked all 50 states using one of those at 40 feet to the feed with a 40 CH. RS Navaho Base and no amplifier. my first experience and one of my most memorable.

Must have had a time machine to have had a 40 channel CB back then. :p

Rich

Ha Ha I caught that too! CB did not get expanded to 40 channels until late '76 or early '77. :LOL:

actually it was a Navaho TRC 23B or C (i forget which) with a "DiamondCutter VFO" plugged into the 22A spot. plenty of us were operating well above 27.255 even back then. all i remembered for sure was being able to check swr on 26.965 and 27.405 with the CLRII.

freecell said:
yep, HyGain CLR2 or RS knockoff. be careful as it has a printed circuit board shunt matching coil and won't handle much over 100W. the vertical element should measure 19' 10 3/4" and you might want to double check the length if you're having swr problems. the vertical element appears to be a little short though it's difficult to tell from that angle. if: "SWR is 2.1 on channel 20 and gets lower above 40" then it's too short.

between the years of 68 - 70 i worked all 50 states using one of those at 40 feet to the feed with a 40 CH. RS Navaho Base and no amplifier. my first experience and one of my most memorable.

cool and yes i know its not the board as i wham 500 watts through it without a problem...and its a screw on pl, not a 4 bolt.
well the length i got to pull it down again to check...won't be a problem as i am putting some clear 100% shield coax on it(got it for 0.28 cents a foot)! well for free it does have some output gain as i get deap chicago clearly on am at night over 100 miles away..and of course the recieve kicks A$$...weird now when i put my DOSY TC-4001 in line it cuts the SWR's on the radio and meter down to 1.2 but on my PDC 700 and my DOSY TC-4002-PSW its about 2.3??? so i take it i willl stick with this Dosy Tc-4001 readings...
I do have to find the top half of the ground plain rod...to complete the 3 ground plains!

thanks for all the info.as i do look on the net i see this Antenna ain\t really to bad
and as i see it work ,I am a happy camper for a free item:)

P.s RS Navaho Base bases kicked A$$es in the day:)

i first bumped into the clr2 back in78-80 when a friends dad got one and i helped errect it at about 20ft, i had a A/Smighty magnum 3 at the time but i liked the look of the clr,
eventually i ended up with the clr when he got bored.

well thats good ,and thanks for all this info,Makes me happy i got this now:)
so this weekend i will put it down and redo it!!!and slap a 100FT of belden double shield clear on it!! and find a piece of ground plain rod (not like it needs it the receive is great)...also when i did put it back together there was only 1 screw hole for the pipes to put together as i pulled the rods out to see if there was a adjustment..and i see the top one hasabout a 1 inch slide adjustment..so this must be where the SWR's can be tuned making it also a 5/8 wave!

thanks,
Mark

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.