• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT-5555N dead key LOW POWER (older version)

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Hey folks, I'm looking for some input with personal experience as what dead key an owner of this radio you're getting when dialing back the AM carrier firstly please... ???

We all know it's best to run it lower to drive an amp but in general I like to be able to dial AM carrier down say to about 1-2 watts anyway, just a preference to be available regardless.
Well according to what I'm gathering there is ONE trimmer pot inside this for adjusting the LOW dead key for AM mode and I turned it back and forth but can only get it down to about 9 watts, which isn't cutting it at all. So kinda strange !

I don't see ANY info about the average people are getting on the web nor any info how to fix this, so I decided to reach out here...

I was quite surprised to see even Bells CB didn't have a tune up report showing this on Youtube or anybody for that matter !

I'm attaching a pic which is already here in this forum from another thread to show I'm aware of it and it is what I used to try to get my dead key DOWN more...

Thanks for the input and help in advance 73's, Retro

Attachments

• ADJUSTMENTS for older version 1.jpg
    ADJUSTMENTS for older version 1.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 28
  • at5555-adjustments.jpg
    at5555-adjustments.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 25

May be a dumb question, but did you turn your RF power knob all the way counter clockwise before adjusting AM Low power pot?​

Yes sir I did. No dumb questions, only ones NOT asked.

Really not sure what's going on, and no one has info on this situation so far.

Seems it would be a fairly easy fix though, Retro

So after reading this thread and trying to remember when I had kine opened up on the bench. If I'm not mistaken, isn't w13 high power and w4 low power? Or am I dreaming that up??

I remember turning the modulation up just a smidgen while listening on the monitor radio but also remember turning the high power down to a more comfortable 10 watts.

20220108_202955.jpg

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
So after reading this thread and trying to remember when I had kine opened up on the bench. If I'm not mistaken, isn't w13 high power and w4 low power? Or am I dreaming that up??

I remember turning the modulation up just a smidgen while listening on the monitor radio but also remember turning the high power down to a more comfortable 10 watts.

View attachment 60273
You are correct and I'm not sure why mine barely is below 10 watts for low dead key range, just isn't cutting it for all practical reasons and preference !!!

You are correct and I'm not sure why mine barely is below 10 watts for low dead key range, just isn't cutting it for all practical reasons and preference !!!

Yes but your low will correlate with the high. With your rf power knob to low, see what w13 does while adjusting it. I know w13 is the high power but try it to see what happens.

Yes but your low will correlate with the high. With your rf power knob to low, see what w13 does while adjusting it. I know w13 is the high power but try it to see what happens.

You know, I thought about doing that but didn't do it hmmmmm...

Interesting, worth a shot I guess...

I reckon I have nothing to loose, I am surprised not many has replied to this thread though !

73's

Bummer James, I have a 5555n and with the power knob fully CCW it has 2.5W and poor forward mod to 4W with the knob full CW it has 9W with nice forward mod to 16W AM, these rigs can blow up amps easy, the SSB swing is 30W and the knob is touchy, but love my 5555n hate the mic but love how you can program 1 band and make your own custom band with AM and SSB/Ham freq to make a super scanner

I am HAPPY to report this has gotten way better! Thanks to Eldorado828 for his suggestion to lower the HIGH dead key output - MANY thanks sir !!!

Now I can get pretty much get whatever I want, meaning as low as barely moving the watt meter needle to what I want which for lower is around 1 watt area. Imagine that huh LOL ! (SOLVED)

73's & thanks for everyones input, Retro

I am HAPPY to report this has gotten way better! Thanks to Eldorado828 for his suggestion to lower the HIGH dead key output - MANY thanks sir !!!

Now I can get pretty much get whatever I want, meaning as low as barely moving the watt meter needle to what I want which for lower is around 1 watt area. Imagine that huh LOL ! (SOLVED)

73's & thanks for everyones input, Retro
Glad it's now doing what you need it to do! Somebody at some point cranked that thing up way too high.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.