• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANYTONE AT-5555N2 receive noise work-around

Good detective work!

Do you have a sinad meter? It would be good to measure the -12dB sinad results of the receiver in all modes, in order to prove that your radio with it's "perceived high noise floor" is actually receiving correctly, and with as much sensitivity as my earlier version radios. I strongly suspect the sinad results will show that your radio is receiving just fine. (y)

Sure I can do that but I would like to "calibrate" the FMRSSI & AMRSSI first. I sent Ken@Qixiang an email 4 days ago requesting the calibration settings for both, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Sure I can do that but I would like to "calibrate" the FMRSSI & AMRSSI first. I sent Ken@Qixiang an email 4 days ago requesting the calibration settings for both, but I haven't heard back from him yet.
Setting the RSSI values involves generating an accurate known signal level, and then pressing PTT. This stores the new RSSI value. (eg, Select ULRS9 and generate -73dBm. Press PTT. The new S9 value will update and be saved.

(Another word of warning to anyone reading who does not have the required test equipment for this stuff, please keep out of this menu. The chances of messing up your radio are very high.)

Setting the RSSI values involves generating an accurate known signal level, and then pressing PTT. This stores the new RSSI value. (eg, Select ULRS9 and generate -73dBm. Press PTT. The new S9 value will update and be saved.

(Another word of warning to anyone reading who does not have the required test equipment for this stuff, please keep out of this menu. The chances of messing up your radio are very high.)

DO NOT DO THIS! IT WILL WIPE OUT YOUR SG (in my case, my TinySA). Do not use a SG to set the FMRSSI or AMRSSI! You have been Warned!

Connect a Dummy Load to the antenna, put RF power @ max, key the mic on FMRSSI & AMRSSI to set the TX meter for carrier on FM & AM.

Let me clarify. "High Noise floor" is a misnomer. The radio's "appear" to have a high noise floor due to a S meter calibration issue that started somewhere after your low # 176022258 radio and before 176022258~380. The sensitivity is fine, on par or better than my other radios. Just the S meter is showing 4 S units higher on a -121 dBm signal.

The radio I got was used and someone had changed Service Menu settings for TX. All of the TX related settings Power, Mod, ALC, etc. were cranked to 255. So I can't use my radio for "Default SM settings".

Having said that, I highly doubt they changed the S Meter settings. My RSG is at 87 (the higher the #, the less sensitive). I don't know if they changed it from 86 or if it came that way.
If you got the radio used and lots of settings were changed. Then how can you assume that they didn't change the S Meter calibration settings?
Just another fine example of why people should stay out of the engineering /service portion of these radios. If you don't have the right equipment. Why mess up a good radio?

Reactions: Pez and undertaker
DO NOT DO THIS! IT WILL WIPE OUT YOUR SG (in my case, my TinySA). Do not use a SG to set the FMRSSI or AMRSSI! You have been Warned!

Connect a Dummy Load to the antenna, put RF power @ max, key the mic on FMRSSI & AMRSSI to set the TX meter for carrier on FM & AM.
We must be VERY clear here. What I have said is correct, but I am NOT talking about Menu items "CH-11 FMRSSI" or "CH-18 AMRSSI" that you used, at all. They are different settings and are not the RX settings we have been focusing on. (The procedure you mentioned for the TX side "CH-11 FMRSSI" or "CH-18 AMRSSI" is correct, but the two methods obviously can not mix!)

My post is referencing the RX RSSI settings from menu item "CH-40" through to "CH-51" (inclusive of the "ULRS9" setting mentioned in my post).

Sorry that you lost your Tiny SA, it's easily done. This is another reminder to everyone that if they don't have all the info on all the settings, it's best to keep out of this menu because even those with the tools and good technical knowledge can be caught out. The service menu can be an expensive place to play.

Last edited:
If you got the radio used and lots of settings were changed. Then how can you assume that they didn't change the S Meter calibration settings?
Just another fine example of why people should stay out of the engineering /service portion of these radios. If you don't have the right equipment. Why mess up a good radio?
Because these service menu settings were from brand new radios not previously owned. There was no assumption being made. The same reason I gave as to why I couldn't use mine... mine was used.

Reactions: Pez
We must be VERY clear here. What I have said is correct, but I am NOT talking about Menu items "CH-11 FMRSSI" or "CH-18 AMRSSI" that you used, at all. They are different settings and are not the RX settings we have been focusing on. (The procedure you mentioned for the TX side "CH-11 FMRSSI" or "CH-18 AMRSSI" is correct, but the two methods obviously can not mix!)

My post is referencing the RX RSSI settings from menu item "CH-40" through to "CH-51" (inclusive of the "ULRS9" setting mentioned in my post).

Sorry that you lost your Tiny SA, it's easily done. This is another reminder to everyone that if they don't have all the info on all the settings, it's best to keep out of this menu because even those with the tools and good technical knowledge can be caught out. The service menu can be an expensive place to play.

LOL Pez.

A lot of things have been talked about in this thread. Specifically, before my #76 post we were talking about using a SINAD meter to test the radios RX sensitivity.
In post #76, I was specifically talking about calibrating (CH-11) FMRSSI and (CH-18) AMRSSI.

You quoted my #76 post in your #77 post. If you want to say that isn't what you were talking about, then why did you quote it? But, I can see where you might of thought I was referring to ch40~ch52.

Just so you know, I would never use "FMRSSI" or "AMRSSI" to refer to ch40~ch52 settings.

Also, if you are saying this is the way to "calibrate" ch40~ch52 settings

"Setting the RSSI values involves generating an accurate known signal level, and then pressing PTT. This stores the new RSSI value. (eg, Select ULRS9 and generate -73dBm. Press PTT. The new S9 value will update and be saved."

It is not correct.

Correct = After pressing and holding PTT, you turn the channel/freq. knob until the radio's S meter reads the correct S reading for the signal level injected (in this case -73 dBm for S9), then unkey.

You can see Scott from Scott's radios doing this in several of his youtube videos for customers when he is checking S9. You can see that he adjusts the S meter reading so it reads on exactly S9 on the radios S meter. He doesn't do that by simply pressing PTT.

Even though the meter can be calibrated in 6 points (S1, S3, S5, S7, S9, and S9+60), Scott only calibrates for S9.

How do I know that? Because several people here with SN 580490, 580491, and SN 580493 radios have complained about the "appearance" of a high noise floor. One of Scott's video shows him tuning up SN 580494 and calibrating for S9. We know he bought a batch of Q5N2's from Qixiang/Anytone and quite a few members here bought their Q5N2's from Scott.

Its all good. That's how we learn.

Correct = After pressing and holding PTT, you turn the channel/freq. knob until the radio's S meter reads the correct S reading for the signal level injected (in this case -73 dBm for S9), then unkey.
This is correct. Indeed, I did miss writing that you had to rotate the VFO to update the value, sorry for that. I have done this job many many times, and those who know how to do this job, know how to do it... I don't think this should be a "how to adjust things in the service menu" thread, because as you found out, things can go wrong. And I don't want to encourage anyone to be in there.

I'm not looking for any arguments (I can see we were talking about different things, sorry for any confusion). I'm keen to assist with finding a solution the the original problem. Your data gathering is promising and very helpful.

Last edited:
This is correct. Indeed, I did miss writing that you had to rotate the VFO to update the value, sorry for that. I have done this job many many times, and those who know how to do this job, know how to do it... I don't think this should be a "how to adjust things in the service menu" thread, because as you found out, things can go wrong. And I don't want to encourage anyone to be in there.

I'm not looking for any arguments (I can see we were talking about different things, sorry for any confusion). I'm keen to assist with finding a solution the the original problem. Your data gathering is promising and very helpful.

very interesting topic. in this video Scott from minute 4 shows calibration of the s meter s1,S3,etc with I think signal generator. . 73 guys.

DO NOT TRY AND CHANGE THE S METER SETTINGS WITHOUT A SIGNAL GENERATYOR. Without the generator as soon as you change the setting, you will NOT be able to change it back!!! if your Stock setting is 3800 and you key the mic and turn the dial WITHOUT a signal generator the reading will drop to like 100-3000 and no higher!! you can turn the dial all you want it wont go higher than 3100ish.. dont say i didnt warn ya!!

I thought i could just change it to see but nope.. had to pull out my signal generator and hook it up and then change the setting back without issue

Last edited:
I tried downloading your factory settings for 5555n2 and it won't open can you email me ce812809@gmail.com
The "factory settings" (numerical value in the Service Menu) aren't going to do you any good. As has been said, each radio is different.

You will have to use a SG to fix your problem, there is no way around it.

What I can tell you is the "factory setting" for the S meter input levels. These match what all CB's and 10meter radios have used for the last 50+ years. So if you have other CB's/10 meter radios, and you want your Q5N2 S-meter to match, use these settings:

S1=-115dBm
S3=-103dBm
S5=-91dBm
S7=-79dBm
S9=-67dBm
S9+60=-7dBm

If you have multiband HF rig/s and you want your Q5N2 S-meter to match them, then use these: *NOTE-This is not factory.

S1=-121dBm
S3=-109dBm
S5=-97dBm
S7=-85dBm
S9=-73dBm
S9+60=-13dBm

There are 6 S-meter settings for AM/FM and 6 S-meter settings for SSB. Service menu ch40~52. An input from a SG is REQUIRED to be able to set the correct level.

Reactions: Woody-202 and Pez
You will have to use a SG to fix your problem, there is no way around it.
This. Charles I am afraid if you don't have a signal generator there is NO WAY to get the settings back where they should be for that radio. No amount of posting in different threads or in different forums is going to fix that. Once the settings are changed, you need an SG to get them back. If you don't have an SG you will need to send the radio somewhere for repair.
This is exactly why it's a really good plan to stay out of the service menu !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.