• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT-6666 electret

stick with the mic the radio came with. Its about as good as it gets for that radio.
I cannibalized the element and plug from the stock microphone but utilized the case, switch, and cord from the Electro Voice 903E.
It turned out nice. Next step is to experiment with some noise cancelling electrets. The case was specifically designed for that purpose.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are asking here?

An electret mic needs no power supply to make it work. It is like a crystal element or a dynamic, in that it makes its own power and output - if the Wiki definition is so.

But if you want to hook up that cool EV mic to the 6666 - and the 6666 has a hot +5v/audio wire; then it will need a series capacitor. The cap will block out the DC +5v out of the audio wire and let only the audio signal pass thru. Understand - that a cap will not pass DC - that is what it can do.

Am I reading you right?

Not sure what you are asking here?

An electret mic needs no power supply to make it work. It is like a crystal element or a dynamic, in that it makes its own power and output - if the Wiki definition is so.

But if you want to hook up that cool EV mic to the 6666 - and the 6666 has a hot +5v/audio wire; then it will need a series capacitor. The cap will block out the DC +5v out of the audio wire and let only the audio signal pass thru. Understand - that a cap will not pass DC - that is what it can do.

Am I reading you right?
The wiki article is partially incorrect.
A circuit like this is required for an electret to function. In my case, that circuit is hidden inside the radio, and the element wires up just like a dynamic microphone leading some folks to believe it isn't really an electret.

Without checking for voltage on the audio wire, I never would have known. Problem solved. Microphone is built and works great.
elect_zpsarwhwgx8.jpg

20170302_165435_zpsutu2cegi.jpg

Here is how electrets are constructed. Kinda like a transistor with one of the legs folded up.
Electret-Mic.gif

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea which value/type of capacitor to wire in parallel to the element to prevent rf feedback without hindering the frequency response of the mic itself?

Here is what I Did..minus resistor.
Squealfix.jpg

What did you do with the Channel Up/Down buttons? I have the Anytone "Smart CB" aka Albrecht AE-6110 and am trying to locate a wiring diagram for the mic. I'd like to convert it to a rotary encoder switch for the channels and switch to a better mic.

What did you do with the Channel Up/Down buttons? I have the Anytone "Smart CB" aka Albrecht AE-6110 and am trying to locate a wiring diagram for the mic. I'd like to convert it to a rotary encoder switch for the channels and switch to a better mic.
I did not include provisions for those buttons, although I can always add them later if I wanted. I was more concerned with Fidelity and less concerned with the convenience of having a channel selector on the microphone.

Is the AT-6666 wired like an ICOM? If so just copy the capa dn resistor like they do as a starting point. You can always change the cap value and type latter to tune it to your voice. On the other hand if it already has a blocking capa nd resistor int he radio as part of the mic circuit than none of that matter's you can plug in any electret mic with no worry of adding any of that.

Uniden radio's that use a powered electret do not include anything int he mic because all of that is built into the radio. Just depends on how the Engineer's designed the radio.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Is the AT-6666 wired like an ICOM? If so just copy the capa dn resistor like they do as a starting point. You can always change the cap value and type latter to tune it to your voice. On the other hand if it already has a blocking capa nd resistor int he radio as part of the mic circuit than none of that matter's you can plug in any electret mic with no worry of adding any of that.

Uniden radio's that use a powered electret do not include anything int he mic because all of that is built into the radio. Just depends on how the Engineer's designed the radio.
This is how the 6666 is wired.
I'm not sure about the Icom.
SS9900_WIRING_MIC_CABLE.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.