• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT-6666 with Heil PR781

rabbiporkchop

Jan 18, 2007
pennsylvania
I thought you guys would like to hear this since although this radio has been out 3 years already, nobody else seems capable of making it happen without having to resort to Rack gear and equalizers and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: telecomtech

Heil microphones sucks :)
I wouldn't go that far, there are better and worse.

At least in the Ham community. It seems many people are convinced that's the only mic out there. I think because Bob Heil is very active in the Ham community helps sell his products.

I had Bob Heil break in once on 40 meters 1 night when a friend and I were talking and I wasn't impressed at all with his audio, it was that outboard processed sound I don't care for, I prefer a natrual sound.

In the Pro Audio world, I never seen studios or Artists use or endorse Heil mics either. His claim to fame there is the guitar talk box made famous by Peter Frampton and Joe Walsh.

That's good clean communications grade audio. It sounds good but what is the point you're trying to make?

If you're using a bunch of rack gear and sound like that you've waisted money on rack gear that you don't know how to use.
The point I'm trying to make is it's been three years since that radio came out and nobody has figured out a way to plug a Heil PR 781 directly into it without turning it into a splatterbox until recently. It would be nice to see somebody duplicate these results unless of course it isn't possible for someone else to do it. This is just a form of show-and-tell challenging someone else to show off their capabilities which haven't been publicly demonstrated yet.

The point I'm trying to make is it's been three years since that radio came out and nobody has figured out a way to plug a Heil PR 781 directly into it without turning it into a splatterbox until recently. It would be nice to see somebody duplicate these results unless of course it isn't possible for someone else to do it. This is just a form of show-and-tell challenging someone else to show off their capabilities which haven't been publicly demonstrated yet.
Interesting , You earlier agreed Heil mics suck.

It's not the mic that splatters, it's the lower quality Chinese radio's and class C amps topped off by clipped radio's.

Reactions: n8fgb and sp5it
Interesting , You earlier agreed Heil mics suck.

It's not the mic that splatters, it's the lower quality Chinese radio's and class C amps topped off by clipped radio's.
Extremely high frequencies will cause a radio to Splatter unless you make some modifications inside the transmitter because the transmitter was never designed to go beyond certain audio frequencies. I'm not sure if you've noticed how awful a stock radio will sound if you plug a heil pr40 or PR 781 directly into a radio without using an Equalizer to taper certain audio frequencies. The Heil Microphones are halfway decent but I would say they suck compared to the Neumann u-87. It's all relative.

Extremely high frequencies will cause a radio to Splatter unless you make some modifications inside the transmitter because the transmitter was never designed to go beyond certain audio frequencies. I'm not sure if you've noticed how awful a stock radio will sound if you plug a heil pr40 or PR 781 directly into a radio without using an Equalizer to taper certain audio frequencies. The Heil Microphones are halfway decent but I would say they suck compared to the Neumann u-87. It's all relative.
The 781 and others sound just fine plugged straight into a real HF rig, but if they sound awful into a CB or export radio then what does that tell you?

When are you going to stop playing with toys on the Sesame Street channels and move up to the grown mans(sort of ) frequencies?

as for bob heil ..
hes a sales man.and also a writer of cb to 10m mods in at least one ham mag back in the late 1970,s early 1980's ..
a nice guy but i would never own one of his mics they just cant fix my accent

his videos are interesting however i screw my face up when he drones on about his world outside of the subject at hand and makes rookie mistakes like feedback during a show of his gear .:whistle:

the rest of this thread is o_O

Reactions: tecnicoloco
The 781 and others sound just fine plugged straight into a real HF rig, but if they sound awful into a CB or export radio then what does that tell you?

When are you going to stop playing with toys on the Sesame Street channels and move up to the grown mans(sort of ) frequencies?
Purchasing an over-the-counter expensive HF rig built to exacting standards would take all the fun out of it. It's a lot more fun using a piece of Chinese garbage that requires a good technicians skill to overcome design limitations than it is to purchase a more expensive piece of equipment built to Tighter tolerances and higher standards which anyone can do. Doing more with less has always been my game.

Reactions: fourstringburn
Purchasing an over-the-counter expensive HF rig built to exacting standards would take all the fun out of it. It's a lot more fun using a piece of Chinese garbage that requires a good technicians skill to overcome design limitations than it is to purchase a more expensive piece of equipment built to Tighter tolerances and higher standards which anyone can do. Doing more with less has always been my game.
Interesting concept, well said!

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.