• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT-779uv

9C1Driver

Aug 13, 2008
Just picked up one of these for some local MURS talking. Seems like a great little radio. First night of talking went well. Looks like it also has a GMRS mode. Even if I need to run two antennas in my attic on a switch should be fun.

hey there. i'm looking at this radio for the 2m/70cm Amateur bands. (studying for my extra) looks simple for MARS mod to include GMRS/FRS/MURS. per channel spacing, power etc. for life or death emergencies only of course.

question. i can't find a manual for it online. can you tell me how the scanning works? can you select/omit channels from scanning through the front of the radio? without a computer in other words. i hear the scanning is on the slow side.

i was looking at the AT-778UV, but that model has an encoder knob instead of a volume potentiometer(?). even though you can change the AT-778UV's knob default from channel to volume. also the AT-779UV's mic looks more ergonomic like my AT-5555n II with the up and down buttons on top. :D

thanks and 73
/max

Attachments

• AT-779UV.png
    AT-779UV.png
    593.6 KB · Views: 2
Scanning on the 779UV is a tad quirky since you can only initiate scanning from the microphone keypad. You must press the ‘F‘ key and the ‘4/scan’ key in order to start scanning. Kind of inconvenient in a mobile setting. There is no way to start/stop scanning from the radio itself.

You can lock out a channel, but again, it is done through the mic keypad by pressing the ’F’ key and then the ‘3/Skip’ key.
However, when you are scanning and want to skip a channel by starting the sequence of ‘F then 3’, the radio will return to the channel it started on, not the current busy channel, so you must pay attention to the channel you would like to lock out.

So yes, you can add or remove channels from the scan function via the mic keypad.

ISSUING A CORRECTION
I need to correct one of my comments above. In doing some recent programming changes to my AT-779UV, I found a setting in the “Information Of Scanning Channel” menu that will allow the radio to stop and remain on a busy channel during scanning.

The selection is listed as “Revert Channel” and I set it to “Last Called”. Now, when scanning and the radio comes upon a busy channel, you can hit any key on the microphone keypad and the radio will stop scanning and remain on that active channel, rather than reverting to the channel it started scanning from (otherwise known as “Selected” in that same menu).

I could blame my error on the Chinglish often found in Chinese radios, but I never even bothered to RTFM, so I will take the hit on this one.

Reactions: 9C1Driver

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.