• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Apologies.....

paws264

Apr 6, 2005
<apology>To those of you who probably thought I had my head stuck up my butt, you may have been correct.

Just recently, I reached a milestone on an amplifier project that I started 5 years ago. It started out as a single tube and, I built an amplifier around it from scrap parts and, it worked.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/amplifiers/21036-gs35b-project.html

Drunk with success from the single tube amp, I decided to build a 2 tuber

amp1.jpg

amp-2.jpg

Over a period of time, I acquired all my parts and based on the sizes of the parts and the desire to locate components in certain places, I made a design and fabricated the case out of sheet metal, Aluminum angle stock and, Pop Rivets. I only had access to rudimentary metal working tools.

I was counseled by others with more experience than I about certain things in my construction; 99% of which I implemented wherever possible. I re-worked the whole amplifier, going from a single filament supply for 2 tubes to a dual setup with 2 separate supplies and bias systems.

SO, based on my plan to build a 2 tube amplifier from scratch starting with sheet metal and screws, I have succeeded. In retrospect, when I started this project I understood that all HB amps can be viewed as "Works-in-progress"; I know that it is not pretty. This amp will probably never see an antenna, just a Heath Cantenna Dummy Load :( </apology>

Also just recently, I had the benefit of seeing a 2 tube GS35B amplifier that was constructed so well that, it made me sick to my stomach to look at my own amplifier.

P1010021.jpg

Bottom of RF Deck:

P1010020.jpg

Top of RF Deck;

P1010025.jpg

Rear Panel:

P1010031.jpg

After looking at Jim's work, I am thinking of scraping my amp (or at least removing one tube); I might even use the deck but change to a single YC-156 or some tube of that nature.

Last edited:

Jim's amp says, "50 Mhz" amp on the front panel,

P1010021.jpg

mine <cough-cough> was also a "6 Meter Amplifier" </cough-cough>!

october011-1.jpg

<apology>.

Just recently, I reached a milestone on an amplifier project that I started 5 years ago. It started out as a single tube and, I built an amplifier around it from scrap parts and, it worked.

You don't need to apologize because your amp isn't pretty.. The bottom line is it works. It's not easy to build anything from scratch, and get it to work on your first try. Nice job. CONGRATULATIONS... & 73s.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.