• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

APRS / Bionics / new gadget

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Byonics has a 'new gadget', a stand alone 'Mirco-Traker', or a "RTG" (Ready To Go) transmitter in a sort of 'plug-n-play' box. Connect an antenna, a GPS, and power and that's it. Basically a 10 watt, non-adjustable transmitter in a convenient sized box, no building required (the container) as with the other 'MT' devices. Same 'Tiny Tracker' (TT3) as used before, same programming, abilities, etc, just really "dumbed" down sort of. It ain't bad at all!
I have the 'MT-8000F', now, variable power output, same programming, abilities, but had to cobble together a box for it (cigar box, really hi-tech!). I should have the 'MT-RTG' going next week hopefully (shipping). No, I don"t honestly think there will be any significant changes, it's just a lot simpler and I wanna see what it'll do anyway.
There are some suggestions that have been added to the installation/use that are the result of the other 'MT' thingys being used for a while. They deal with common problems, mainly with RF interference from too-close exposure to it's antenna. Nothing to do with people's exposure, but the device's, constantly re-setting cuz of RF interference, that sort of thingy. [I think a metal container ('Alltoid' box?) would 'cure' some of that, but would also raise the cost. So wrap it with aluminum foil?]
Nothing really outstanding, or different, just a simpler design, and cheaper than that 'AIO' one (which is nice, but twice the cost +/-). I think that 'simpler' and 'cheaper' things are going to cause an increase in use. I do know that there are one or two around here that are interested because of those things.
Byon also has a few other gadgets that certainly interesting. That just depends on exactly what you want to do, but at least a source for a few thingys that can make things 'simpler'. Byon hasn't gotten too 'commercial' yet. Meaning that suggestions are welcome, service ain't bad at all, and there's no telling what may be available next. (Tell him what you want and it just might show up!)
- 'Doc

I wish I got paid for advertising, but I don't. I do wish there were more of this type of guy with ideas around that could come up with gadgets like he does.
{Byon, if you should happen to see this, and if you ever consider hiring this kind of advertising done, I accept beer as payment instead of cash!} ...I'll hold my breath.

This thing here?
mt-rtg.jpg

It looks neat and small! (y) I saw on his site that he also has an optional display for the TinyTrak 4 that can also handle a keyboard.

I wonder if he could configure a little 10 watt version with a display and keyboard interface that could be used both as a tracker and mobile digipeater? I might have to email him...

Ordered it Sunday, they mailed it Tuesday, I got it today. I wish the mail was that fast all the time!
Took longer to change the power connection (cig.plug to PowerPoles) than to do anything else. Plug in the antenna then power/GPS ant. connector and that was it. Done. Pre-programmed from 'Byonics'. Naturally, can't leave anything alone so had to re-program it. Takes longer to get the programming program running than to do the programming. What did I change? Just the really important things! Changed the 'car' symbol to a 'pickup' symbol. May change the 'Comments' thingy later if I can think of anything smart-axed enough, who knows. Happy camper! Removed the cigar box, got more room for gadgets...
- 'Doc

Did anyone fine out if there is an option to configure the 10 watt digipeater with the display and keyboard? I'm interested in this option as well..

Thanks!

KE4HGR

John

The law is starting to fade...can I stick this on my ballon release project to track its movements, I mean, on someone's vehicular - it is planned as a manned vehicular tracking program, to gather traffic data...

Last edited:
Sorry...no I have not...got busy doing other stuff, but still very intrested...I may try in the next couple of weeks, and I will post what I find out...

I'm working with my Dad (also a ham) to create a remote base that we can share and have been building and erecting some homebrew antennas for testing while starting a new job, so I have had my hands full right now...

If anybody does get information beforte I do please post what you find out...

Thanks!

John KE4HGR

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.