• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

APRS on VX-8r

APRSPerth

Sep 22, 2009
Hi All,

Quick question for the VX-8r experts out there...

I have read on another site that in order to have the APRS available on this radio you need to purchase the speaker mic and plug the GPS module in. I was under the impression you could buy the GPS antenna and plug into the radio directly via the appropriate converter thus negating the need to purchase a speaker mic that I rarely use. I am correct??

Secondly, will this radio send APRS data whilst monitoring another 2M frequency? Say send APRS data to the Digipeater on one frequency and allow me to monitor the local repeater traffic on another?

I haven't yet purchased one of these HT's but I am swaying towards one...

Thanks in advance and 73's, Duncan - VK6GHZ (Perth, West Australia)

Yes on 1

I don't know on 2. (I am still waiting on Universal Radio to send me my GPS part. I have the conversion part.)

BTW, I am not sure I made the right decision, not getting the MIC. It all depends on how you will be using it.

I have read on another site that in order to have the APRS available on this radio you need to purchase the speaker mic and plug the GPS module in. I was under the impression you could buy the GPS antenna and plug into the radio directly via the appropriate converter thus negating the need to purchase a speaker mic that I rarely use. I am correct??

I have the GPS unit... and yes you can either use the mic or the mount for the GPS either is fine.

However, you do not need a GPS unit at all for the APRS functions - they work fine without the GPS unit. The only thing the GPS unit will do is automatically update the location/heading/speed/alt... you can still manually enter your location, and all the other APRS stuff (like messaging, etc) work fine without the GPS unit.

Secondly, will this radio send APRS data whilst monitoring another 2M frequency? Say send APRS data to the Digipeater on one frequency and allow me to monitor the local repeater traffic on another?

The V8R has two radios... you can set the APRS to work on one, and do whatever you'd like on the other. So yes, you can have the APRS beacon (and receive) while chatting away on another 6m/2m/220/440 freq. Additionally, I believe it can receive FM/AM broadcast radio as a third band simultaneously. (I haven't played with the FM/AM stuff in awhile)

Hi All,

Quick question for the VX-8r experts out there...

I haven't yet purchased one of these HT's but I am swaying towards one...

Thanks in advance and 73's, Duncan - VK6GHZ (Perth, West Australia)

Yeah, if you just want the GPS there is a GPS bracket/adapter you purchase to plug it directly into the radio.

The radio has two VFO's. APRS can only be used on VFOB. While it is active, you can use VFOA for whatever you want: another 2m/220/440/6m frequency, scanning, broadcast, etc. In fact, you can use the AF-DUAL function to do APRS on VFOB, monitor ham radio on VFO-A, while listening to broadcast FM. Pretty cool!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.