• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Armor Flex coax?

FJR Predator

Jun 24, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I'm running 9' of Armor Flex for my motorcycle install. I'm also going to run a 2-pill 250 watt linear with a Predator 10K. Where does the Armor Flex fall in the hierarchy of cables?
I've read that the better the cable the better off you are. I'm going to be running a GPS, radar detector, XM-radio and other electrical stuff. I definitely want to keep RF losses to a minimum. Is the Armor Flex rated RG-8X, RG-8, RG-213 or where in between?

Re: Armor Flex coax?????????

FJR Predator said:
I'm running 9' of Armor Flex for my motorcycle install. I'm also going to run a 2-pill 250 watt linear with a Predator 10K. Where does the Armor Flex fall in the hierarchy of cables?
I've read that the better the cable the better off you are. I'm going to be running a GPS, radar detector, XM-radio and other electrical stuff. I definitely want to keep RF losses to a minimum. Is the Armor Flex rated RG-8X, RG-8, RG-213 or where in between?

The ones I have seen are mini 8 so should be fine if it is not a cheap import copy :LOL: you could run that to the amp mount the amp close to the antenna then hard line to the antenna. I would be more concerned about running an amp on a motorcycle there alternators and battery's are small :LOL:

Actually the amp (mounted on dash/shelf between the handle bars) will be close to the radio unit (mounted on the left handle bar). I'll run the 9' section to the antenna. I'll have to get short run to go to the amp.

FJR Predator said:
Actually the amp (mounted on dash/shelf between the handle bars) will be close to the radio unit (mounted on the left handle bar). I'll run the 9' section to the antenna. I'll have to get short run to go to the amp.

That will work should last for years...

I had bought some ArmorFlex coax and for some reason couldn't get the SWR on my antenna to come down to a reasonable level.

Just my experience with the stuff.

SmackDown said:
for what you want to do (bike install) I'm thinking the alternator won't supply enough amperage and the battery doesn't have enough CCA's..... maybe you can do a big radio without a linear ??????

I'm using a J&M handlebar mounted CB radio. I have a sport tourer which doesn't have a lot of dash to play with. A big radio just won't work. The stator on the bike puts out 600 watts @ 14 volts (about 50 amps). I think if I keep the amp on low it should draw less than 20 amps. I'll have to see and be cautious.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.