• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic AST878

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Has anyone here ran one of these?? Do they have that D104 audio?? I am curious andwanted to know if there worth the money or if they dont sound good and are not worth it. I have a a bunch of other ASTATIC mics D104 desk and handhelds and they are great microphones but I wanted to maybe try one of these new desk mics but I cannot find any info on them.​

They are great mics! Loud and clear. A few locals tell me mine sounds better than my Silver Eagle and they hate to admit it. You have to turn it up more on bottom of mic alot more than a D104. I set mine were the screwdriver slit is lined up with the word max on bottom of mic. Radio set at 12 or 1 oclock and it sounds great! The first run had a squeal but it has been fixed in the new ones. Had great conditions for groundwave on SSB the other day and lots of people were telling me how great my audio was.

Cant stand these

I just dont like this mic, I ran the 878 on and off for about a year and always kept going back to my turner expander 500. If you like the d104 series mics this will not be for you. It does not have that old classic astat sound. Cheat mic for the cheap operator.

I just dont like this mic, I ran the 878 on and off for about a year and always kept going back to my turner expander 500. If you like the d104 series mics this will not be for you. It does not have that old classic astat sound. Cheat mic for the cheap operator.
I have had more operators tell me the 878 sounds better than a D104 than the other way around. I love this mic. Sounds good on anything ive tried it on. I guess thats why they make more than one mic. So people have the choice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.