• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Aussie KRACO

VK3PDG

Sep 5, 2012
Hello from a now thawing-out South-Eastern Australia!

I picked up an ancient KRACO SSB Deluxe SSB base radio at our radio club's clean-up day last Saturday.

(One man's junk is another man's divorce catalyst!).

The plan is to get it up & going, then use it at our next RadioFest for non-licenced prospectives to get their feet wet.

When switched on, it performs perfectly on AM, great receive with about 3.5 watts out, but on SSB completely silent.

It transmits fine on Upper & Lower, but not a cracker on receive!

Has anyone had experience with these fine old radios? And if so, have they encountered this problem & found a cure?

I am really keen to avoid spending hours inside the chassis attempting to track down the cause.

Cheers from Oz.

I like the looks of those old Kraco CB's. Are the Aussie ones different than the ones from the US? Is it 40 channel? Do you have pics? I'm sure someone can chime in with schematics and tune up points.

RT307

In the 80's I had the Electrophone CB-590 base, which looks identical to the Kraco, but with apparently more modern innards. It had the 02A chip I think.

Your Kraco is almost certainly a 23 channel. So it will be the same as the American ones, which means there will be a SAMS manual for it, which would be useful for fault finding.

Good luck.

73's

Attachments

• GME_Electrophone_590.jpg
    GME_Electrophone_590.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Pez
Hi all, I'm new here & don't know your procedures as yet. I am the owner of a Krao base station (KB-2355) that I would like to modify for the 15-meter ham band. (21Mhz.) any help would be appreciated, especially a schematic diagram

Kraco Super Deluxe 23. All the rage by 1970 standards. What's not to love about simulated wood grain covers and plastic chrome with push buttons. As sexy as a Ford Country Squire Station Wagon with dual 9 foot whips. Or a "Wagon Queen Family Truckster." I joke around saying how ugly the are by todays standards. Kracos are like big girls.. get the idea. I always picked up a Kraco when the opportunity presented.

Last edited:
Hello from a now thawing-out South-Eastern Australia!

I picked up an ancient KRACO SSB Deluxe SSB base radio at our radio club's clean-up day last Saturday.

(One man's junk is another man's divorce catalyst!).

The plan is to get it up & going, then use it at our next RadioFest for non-licenced prospectives to get their feet wet.

When switched on, it performs perfectly on AM, great receive with about 3.5 watts out, but on SSB completely silent.

It transmits fine on Upper & Lower, but not a cracker on receive!

Has anyone had experience with these fine old radios? And if so, have they encountered this problem & found a cure?

I am really keen to avoid spending hours inside the chassis attempting to track down the cause.

Cheers from Oz.
G'day mate.

These are great old rigs. If it is the 23ch base, you will need CB-148 (attached) :)

FYI, you can easily add a DDS VFO to this radio for 10m use.

Attachments

• CB-148_ Kraco KB-2355.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 7

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.