• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Avanti Sigma4: An alternative view point

eddie,
the big-mac was tunable by moving the tap on the lower coil and by altering the length of the upper 5/8wave, the length of the lower 1/4wave and phasing coil were fixed,

i would not call the performance deficient, , im saying that the small physical separation between the two active elements may not be making the most of the 5/8 over 1/4wave co-linear's potential,
the mac has no problem outperforming any single element groundplane,

the one in the photo is in a sorry state with its basket bent out of shape

i don't know exactly whats going on with the sigma, let me get my head round tm / tem wave propagation and common mode excitation in tapered transmissionlines lol :)

Disregarding magnitude, how many current maximas appear on an end fed 5/8 radiator, 1 or 2?

Disregarding magnitude, how many current maximas appear on an end fed 5/8 radiator, 1 or 2?

Eddie you can't disregard magnitude for current maxima, by the very nature of it being maxima it only occurs at points where the current is maximum.

it has one current maxima (1/4 wave from the top) and another point where current is halfway to maximum (at the top of the loading coil)

it would need to be 3/4 wave to have 2 current maxima's as current maxima occurs 1/4 wave from the top and then every halfwave along the radiator from that point.

Eddie you can't disregard magnitude for current maxima, by the very nature of it being maxima it only occurs at points where the current is maximum.

it has one current maxima (1/4 wave from the top) and another point where current is halfway to maximum (at the top of the loading coil)

it would need to be 3/4 wave to have 2 current maxima's as current maxima occurs 1/4 wave from the top and then every halfwave along the radiator from that point.

I think you're right George technically speaking, but there will still likely be considerable current (little RF) flows in the area, unlike around the end of a 1/2 wave radiator which also shows little RF flowing, but minimal currents. I think this might have some affect on the 5/8 wave pattern that offsets the advantage it is suppose to have.

IMO, whatever RF comes from the bottom 1/8 wavelength is minimized due to the out of phase cancellation affect in that area of the antenna. I also think the only advantage an end fed 5/8 wave has over an end fed 1/2 wave is this 1/8 wavelength increase in height for the current maxima, and that is not much of an advantage even regarding the angle.

I can't prove it, but this idea assumes that the excitation in the bottom area of the 5/8 wave radiator skews the pattern negatively, which might then allow these two to respond about the same in the real world over real Earth, and in some instances we may see the differences in conductivity of the real Earth ill-affect or benefit one then the other...in a particular real performance installation.

I make this conclusion base on my comparison work, where I continue to see the antennas I use...produce much the same signals at a variety of different stations within about a 60 mile range. I add that I only record RX signals and at times I do get TX reports...that may at times indicate more differences than the RX signal I record might show. Assuming antennas are reciprocal, I don't understand such result when I see it occur. So that factor has to be taken into account as a variable.

This is not a scientific analysis of events in a controlled setting.

eddie,
the big-mac was tunable by moving the tap on the lower coil and by altering the length of the upper 5/8wave, the length of the lower 1/4wave and phasing coil were fixed,

i would not call the performance deficient, , im saying that the small physical separation between the two active elements may not be making the most of the 5/8 over 1/4wave co-linear's potential,
the mac has no problem outperforming any single element groundplane,

the one in the photo is in a sorry state with its basket bent out of shape

i don't know exactly whats going on with the sigma, let me get my head round tm / tem wave propagation and common mode excitation in tapered transmissionlines lol :)

I assume you mean by your reference to "...small physical separation between the two active elements..." that the 1/4 wave cage curves in toward the phasing coil at the top and thus is close to the radiator, right? I doubt you mean the separation allowed by the insulator is too close.

That said, I don't know what the full impacts is, but think I see this bottom section designed as a form of a cage radiator, for which the advantages are well established. Such designs have an affect that adds a positive affect to the bandwidth and the Q lowering feature noted with very large diameter radiators at a minor cost to weight, wind loading, and material costs.

IMO, the phasing either works or it doesn't. The top coil should determine that and if it didn't I think you would have seen a rather sorry operating antenna, that very likely showed a rather high angle radiation pattern just based on its length alone.

In the ARRL AHB page 7-7, 17th addition, this is discussed. There noting that the spacing of the sleeve elements could be closer and that doing so will help result in a more circular azimuthal radiation pattern rather that showing directivity.

I attach this info here:
ARRL 7-7 (495x640).jpg

Since this design seems to fit my understanding of what a vertical collinear should look like in general...I see little problem with the idea, unless you're right, that instead...the tune means everything in the Big Mac as in the Sigma4.

BTW, here is the formula I used to figure the length ratios as per the Sleeve Antenna section in the book noted above. This does not account for material diameter and I assume the numbers would, as a result, fall closer to the elements made of thin wire.

wavelength in feet x (ratio x .25) = length in feet

36.18 x (3.2 x .25) = 28.80'
36.18 x (3 x .25) = 27.14'

the text tells us that anything over 3.2:1 ratio of radiator to sleeve will produce very high sidelobes and less gain on the horizon. I know you based your work on this subject study and report, so what do you think accounts for the difference you saw with your length at or near 31'? The article goes on to describe some exceptions at several larger ratios 4:1, 6:1, 8:1, etc, but in those cases the very limiting result are noted in the text right below the sections I highlighted. It looks like 31' feet fall way to long for the minimum ratio of 3.2:1 and way too short for the next ratio of 4:1.

Since I'm talking of the top of my head and understand little of the subject, how can I reconcile this problem?

eddie,
i meant the physical distance between the two elements or current maximas, thats set by the length of the insulator and phasing section,

we have talked about the length ratios before, the vector has dissimilar tube diameters, a tapered monopole that starts out at 1-1/2" down to 1/4"
and a tapered sleeve of 3 or 4 radials topped with a hoop,
the number and proximity of the radials to the monopole raise resonant frequency of both monopole and radial,
i don't know how you compare that to the bottom fed open sleeve using a pair of parallel untapered elements with regards element length other than the tapered elements will be physicaly a little longer for the same resonant frequency, the transmissionline mode impedance will also be different with the different tube diameter ratios even if you used the same spacing,

imagine that the electrical length of the radials is 90" or 106" plus at least half the distance between two radials around the hoop minus the proximity effect,
the patent talked about the hoop shortening the radials while maintaining the same basic electrical length,
since adding the hoop physically shortens the transmissionline length i assume the patent is talking about the electrical length of the radials and not the elecrical length of the transmissionline formed by them,
without the hoop the radials in proximity to the monopole would have to be longer than 106",
if thats the case then the 3.2:1 ratio may hold true for the sigma design,
our stock old vectors were over 31ft and imho too long,

the 4:1 and higher ratios are where the central monopole is 1/2wave multiples and antenna mode impedance is too high to allow much curent to flow the the portion of monopole above the sleeve;)

eddie, i meant the physical distance between the two elements or current maximas, thats set by the length of the insulator and phasing section,

Well Bob, I guessed wrong again on what you meant regarding the physical distance between the two elements. I was sure you meant the top of the radials elements in the 1/4 wave cage were curved back to the radiator and thus too close...the opposite of what we find in the cage for the Vector/Sigma4.

The Big Mac looks to be raised 4"-6" under the coil and for me that is plenty of space, so how much space would you think is enough in such a case? I would question this idea of reversing currents in a collinear in the Sigma4 before I would question it in the Big Mac just because there is an insulated space between the lower and upper elements. That said in either case, neither the Big Mac or the Vector/Sigma4 would work worth a hoot if this current reversing function did not take place at the top of the bottom 1/4 wave element. Else both antennas would show the results of an end fed 3/4 wave monopole or longer, and I don't believe either of us believes such an antenna will work very well to put RF on the horizon.

we have talked about the length ratios before, the vector has dissimilar tube diameters, a tapered monopole that starts out at 1-1/2" down to 1/4" and a tapered sleeve of 3 or 4 radials topped with a hoop,
the number and proximity of the radials to the monopole raise resonant frequency of both monopole and radial,

I think you're right again Bob, but when you suggested I read-up again on "Ia" & "It", I had the feeling of deja-vue all over again. I can't remember the details back then, but I probably had similar questions, right? At the very least I questioned your considering the 31' foot length you used and found around that length to be optimal for performance at a far distance. And you're also right, tapper and larger diameter will make both radiators appear longer, and for me that makes my question even more of an issue, not less.

Tell me if my thinking basically describes the significance of these two different currents. The transmission line mode "It", suggest currents that do not radiate due to cancellation like coax, whereas antenna mode currents "Ia" do radiate, like common mode currents, another current in the mix?

i don't know how you compare that to the bottom fed open sleeve using a pair of parallel untapered elements with regards element length other than the tapered elements will be physically a little longer for the same resonant frequency, the transmissionline mode impedance will also be different with the different tube diameter ratios even if you used the same spacing,

I guess I'm wrong again then, because if you're suggesting here is that there are transmission line mode currents in the bottom, and I'm right in my idea noted above, then there would be no RF coming from the bottom 1/4 wave due to cancellation. See how this subject flips one way then the other, while still evading my understanding. Seems like every time I get an idea about this subject...I always run into a conflict to that thinking, kind of like a road block or maybe a metal block.

imagine that the electrical length of the radials is 90" or 106" plus at least half the distance between two radials around the hoop minus the proximity effect, the patent talked about the hoop shortening the radials while maintaining the same basic electrical length, since adding the hoop physically shortens the transmissionline length i assume the patent is talking about the electrical length of the radials and not the elecrical length of the transmissionline formed by them, without the hoop the radials in proximity to the monopole would have to be longer than 106", if thats the case then the 3.2:1 ratio may hold true for the sigma design, our stock old vectors were over 31ft and imho too long,

I can't prove it Bob, but I tend to think the only reason that Sirio extended the length of the radials to 106" was to maintain 1/4 wave resonance to a workable radiator length ratio that worked about the same as the earlier model, with the main goal being to try and shorten, for durability sake, the length of their Vector antenna. You have often talked about this problem in your area, and I'm sure after looking at several Vectors here, they do not hold up well...even in milder climate areas. I have yet to see or hear any real reports on the New Vector 4000, other that they're alright and work pretty good, but based on my experience recently with two other Sirio antennas, I tend to believe that Sirio knows what they're talking about.

the 4:1 and higher ratios are where the central monopole is 1/2wave multiples and antenna mode impedance is too high to allow much current to flow the the portion of monopole above the sleeve;)

I agree, that is what the book says, but my point in raising the issue was to note that in order to get to this 4:1 point with this ratio idea in the ARRL, the antenna would have to be about 36' feet long and then you might see a very narrow spot close around such ratios listed, and little room for error or there would be little to no antenna currents to radiate. So see, here is my dilemma noted again, if my bold typed idea above is not right, tapered tubing and larger diameters or not. I know such factors need to be considered in antenna design, but I just can't get this current idea you raise...good in my mind's eye.

Well Bob, I guessed wrong again on what you meant regarding the physical distance between the two elements. I was sure you meant the top of the radials elements in the 1/4 wave cage were curved back to the radiator and thus too close...the opposite of what we find in the cage for the Vector/Sigma4.

the cage of the big-mac is not a sleeve like the sigma, the skinny elements are in parallel with the lower 1/4wave, electrically connected top and bottom,

The Big Mac looks to be raised 4"-6" under the coil and for me that is plenty of space, so how much space would you think is enough in such a case?

enough to work as a co-linear and enough to give the maximum theoretical gain are two different things eddie, look at the physical spacing of a coaxial co-linear or the better commercial uhf co-linears vs what we have in the big-mac as a fraction of wavelength spacing,

I would question this idea of reversing currents in a collinear in the Sigma4 before I would question it in the Big Mac just because there is an insulated space between the lower and upper elements. That said in either case, neither the Big Mac or the Vector/Sigma4 would work worth a hoot if this current reversing function did not take place at the top of the bottom 1/4 wave element. Else both antennas would show the results of an end fed 3/4 wave monopole or longer, and I don't believe either of us believes such an antenna will work very well to put RF on the horizon.

neither the sigma nor big-mac radiate like a 3/4wave or longer monopole, to make a sigma do that you can remove the radial sleeve and retune it as a gamma fed monopole,

I think you're right again Bob, but when you suggested I read-up again on "Ia" & "It", I had the feeling of deja-vue all over again. I can't remember the details back then, but I probably had similar questions, right? At the very least I questioned your considering the 31' foot length you used and found around that length to be optimal for performance at a far distance. And you're also right, tapper and larger diameter will make both radiators appear longer, and for me that makes my question even more of an issue, not less.

the tapered element will have to be longer for the same resonant frequency,
as i have stated in the past, what length i ended up with should be of no concern to anybody else, that is unless they want to use their antenna in my yard,

Tell me if my thinking basically describes the significance of these two different currents. The transmission line mode "It", suggest currents that do not radiate due to cancellation like coax, whereas antenna mode currents "Ia" do radiate, like common mode currents, another current in the mix?

thats how the arrl describe it

I guess I'm wrong again then, because if you're suggesting here is that there are transmission line mode currents in the bottom, and I'm right in my idea noted above, then there would be no RF coming from the bottom 1/4 wave due to cancellation. See how this subject flips one way then the other, while still evading my understanding. Seems like every time I get an idea about this subject...I always run into a conflict to that thinking, kind of like a road block or maybe a metal block.

im not suggesting theres no radiation from the sleeve, there clearly is radiation in the cst plot,
the first part of the open sleeve article in the arrl explains where and under what circumstances the currents flow in a direct fed open sleeve monopole
you have transmissionline mode and antenna mode currents flowing in the same elements in opposite directions, the magnitude of which is proportional to tm mode and antenna mode impedance respectively,

then theres common mode excitation that needs looking at, we have a transmissionline with a differential in voltage at the ends,

i can't prove it Bob, but I tend to think the only reason that Sirio extended the length of the radials to 106" was to maintain 1/4 wave resonance to a workable radiator length ratio that worked about the same as the earlier model, with the main goal being to try and shorten, for durability sake, the length of their Vector antenna. You have often talked about this problem in your area, and I'm sure after looking at several Vectors here, they do not hold up well...even in milder climate areas. I have yet to see or hear any real reports on the New Vector 4000, other that they're alright and work pretty good, but based on my experience recently with two other Sirio antennas, I tend to believe that Sirio knows what they're talking about.

i have not tested the longer radials, unlike a j-pole i don't expect the extended radials will stop the antenna tuning over a wide range of lengths,

I agree, that is what the book says, but my point in raising the issue was to note that in order to get to this 4:1 point with this ratio idea in the ARRL, the antenna would have to be about 36' feet long and then you might see a very narrow spot close around such ratios listed, and little room for error or there would be little to no antenna currents to radiate. So see, here is my dilemma noted again, if my bold typed idea above is not right, tapered tubing and larger diameters or not. I know such factors need to be considered in antenna design, but I just can't get this current idea you raise...good in my mind's eye.

the open sleeve article deals with direct fed open sleeves where the end impedance of the monopole determines the magnitude of antenna mode currents,
adding the sleeve causes a second impedance to be seen in parallel with the antenna mode impedance,

while i have not measured the current in the upper monopole, the fact that the sigma design will tune and work ok with a very wide range of monopole lengths indicates to me that the gamma fed sigma/vector does not have to be 3/4wave to have significant current flowing in the monopole;)

Cha-ching, Cha-ching, when you put a nickel in for old Bob, you always get a good dollar's value back, maybe not a US dollar any more, but a real dollar none-the-less.

Thanks Bob.

eddie,
heres something you may like to read, it explains common mode currents and why mr cebik told me that getting accurate results when modeling the sigma style antennas with nec would be very difficult,
it also explains why just grounding your coax as some folk do and advise on forums may not be the best way forward,
i think the article also gives a clue as to what he meant by "there is more going on in that design than is apparent to most people" and the other things he told me.

http://www.cebik.com/content/a10/trans/cmp.html

eddie,
heres something you may like to read, it explains common mode currents and why mr cebik told me that getting accurate results when modeling the sigma style antennas with nec would be very difficult,
it also explains why just grounding your coax as some folk do and advise on forums may not be the best way forward,
i think the article also gives a clue as to what he meant by "there is more going on in that design than is apparent to most people" and the other things he told me.

[URL]http://www.cebik.com/content/a10/trans/cmp.html[/URL]

Thanks Bob.

I haven't digested this report as yet, but with a casual reading I see Cebik discussing stuff I depend on with my own modeling. This is in spite of the discouraging words I get concerning the product's viability. I continue to proceed, thinking I'll learn something and maybe understand antennas a little better doing so, right or wrong.

Do you believe Cebik is shooting straight with us and making sense in this article "CM Current Picture Show?" If so, then how could we explain the high gain values of 6.25 dbi - 7.68 dbi for a center fed 1/2 wave dipole in his Table 3, on page #9? Are we reading an old Solarcon report for their original A99? This is meant to be rhetorical, while calling attention to the data we see that does not appear creditable.

I can't say Cebik is wrong and that is just a single issue, but is this data accurate? Cebik may well be providing us a valuable resource for our modeling efforts, but he repeatedly cautions the reader of errors and sometimes seemingly impossible solutions that will ward-off such errors...but IMP he repeatedly fails to indicate what that error value is. Is it 2-5% error or is it meaningful like 80-100%. I would like to know what the difference means, when I hear that there is a difference in a model when adding the feedline and mast.

I think that if he talks about an error, then he no doubt knows or has an idea from the process of that discovery...how much of an error is important.

Concerning errors, we note in this article that Cebik talks about using the Average Gain function. I consider and check that to gauge all of my models and the iterations I make...when I feel the need to fine tune or tweak a particular model. With the Sigma4 model I did, I was not concerned with anything but trying to make the model dimensionally accurate, which no one else in our group had done, and I did not tweak the model, per-se and as a result of more accurate the model proved modestly good, while everyone else was contending that the Sigma4 model would not show good gain unless very thin wires were used throughout. Or, is that just my imagination?

When I do a model, I typically get no feed back from any of the guys that claimed to do Eznec modeling. It was the same for previous modeling efforts until I started asking questions. Bob, why do you think that happens? Is it because no one is interested in modeling?

As a result, I have nothing to gauge my errors except this AG function and how the antenna physically looks compared to the real thing, including accurate dimensions when available.

Just yesterday I modeled my New Top One. I think I may have discovered what Avanti meant in their discussed in the Patent regarding the lower angle of radiation it produces and their use of the words "tilt, or slight tilt." See attached: View attachment New Top One Patterns.pdf

It is to be noted that a real free space model will not have a mast.

However, due to my statements above, I'm just not sure I'm right. At this point I think this tilt or low angle has little to do with using a shorter or longer mast in the antenna...as was suggested by freecell sometime back. He was determined to test that idea back then, but as far as I know...he never did, at least I never heard of any such results. And now it looks like all it takes to make a fact is to repeat an unproven idea.

IMO that 4' foot below the hoop idea suggested in Avanti's manual was noted only as a minimal install dimension...relative to the Earth, large profile towers, conductive guys, or a roof when applicable. My actual testing of this response suggest to me that the antenna is far more affected than noted in the manual or Patent in this regard, and is due primarily to the heavy amperage flow in the hoop. I recently installed my Old Top One using an old 12' foot R/S Crossbow boom as the center mast that was connected to the hub, and that 4" x 8" boom to mast bracket noticeably affected the tune for the antenna. As you have noted Bob, the mast for the A/P is critical to performance, and in addition to the length and diameter, the symmetry may be of importance as well. I can't test my idea, but based on the free space model the basic A/P shows a -5* degree slant down from the horizon and I don't see that in a similar center fed 1/2 wave model.

This may be why the antenna is prone to TVI toward the Earth. However, if the antenna is installed very low to the Earth it may not be as noticable, and if mounted high that may also mitigate the problem somewhat.

I also think modeling helped convince me of what I saw when the bottom hoop was 20' feet above the ground and my I-10K was laying right below it. The tune looked terrible on my analyzer/SWR bandwidth curves. I moved the 1-10K and the BWC's where normal.

Last edited:
yes i think cebik was a straightshooter,
im not saying he or anyone else gets everything correct but i don't think he made things up so he had something to write about,
w8ji and others also claim that sort of gain for a dipole above earth, since im not in space and have a mast and feedline i don't pay much attention to freespace models,

i don't know why you don't get feedback on your models eddie,
theres plenty of models for 1/4 1/2 5/8waves out there on the net and in books,
my main interest is in the controversial designs with differing views on what they are and how they operate,
cebik's warnings don't fill me with confidence that the issue will be resolved anytime soon,

i see the lower 1/4wave of astroplane as a transmissionline, as such the length of the mast/feedline will determine antenna mode impedance and the resulting current magnitude below the hoop, thats how i imagine the pattern been effected as per the patent claims, could i be wrong?, of course i could,
im going by what the patent states and what i have read about transmissionline antennas,
after reading the astrobeam article you sent me, i got the impression that avanti did not really understand how it worked either, i had hoped the article would have cleared up the speculation but it did not,

same frequency antennas in close proximity to each other do effect each other, i can set the laptop in clear view then walk about the car holding a 1/4wave fiberglass whip at different distances from the antenna on the car and watch the analyser readings change,
when i tested antennas i would lay one antenna on the ground away from the test antenna and at 90 degrees to it hoping thats good enough.

I think my brain is leaking out of my ears after trying to absorb all of this

I definitely want to play with one of these antennas, so here is my question, all things considered..which one should i buy and play with? i guess which one will give me the largest room for adjustment? i've thought about "rolling my own" so-to speak which i sure have the ABILITY to do, but currently don't have the ROOM/SPACE to do so what i'm thinking is buying either the LW or V4K and then modifying it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.