1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Awesome conditions on vhf/uhf last night

Discussion in 'Interesting DX Contacts' started by Blackcat630, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Blackcat630

Blackcat630
    Expand Collapse

I'm assuming this would be attributed to troposheric ducting. Worked some 2m ssb guys in northern il and into wisconsin around 8pm. This isn't all that uncommon...200-400mi 2m ssb. Then things got way better. I chat with some local guys about 25 miles south on 446.000 simplex usually 10-11 pm. We had a breaking station I let him go. Come to find out he was 25 miles west of Madison wisconsin! 279 air miles from me. We had no trouble working each other. Both of us running comet verticals around 30-40 ft. We decreased power to 5w...still no problem! We then tried out 220 simplex..again no problem. So we jumped to 2m ssb...5w 5/9. Then to round it out 146.520 simplex..no problems 5w. I had too much fun and just wanted to share! 73 all..

#1 Blackcat630, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    wavrider and Tallman like this.

2. vkrules

vkrules
    Expand Collapse

Yeh lot of fun when HF is poor. We get regular temp inversions over summer, at about dusk. best place to work them is on a hill close to the beach.
    Also have worked Brisbane to Auckland NZ on a duct caused by a Pacific Cyclone .
    We started on 6m moved to 2m then to 70cm .3000km on 70cm!

What are the weather conditions and geographical conditions in your area, just curious.

Blackcat630 likes this.
  3. Blackcat630

Blackcat630
    Expand Collapse

500-600 feet above sea level is about average for us. Flat farm country. I'm roughly 40 miles from the Mississippi River. Yesterday we had showers on and off..mostly it all moved just to the south of me. Cloudy last night..kinda in between weather sytems. More rain moved in over night. I've played on 2m quite a bit since the 90's. I'm used to the typical early morning openings up to a couple hundred miles fm into repeaters or simplex to guys on beams or verticals at a good height. 2m ssb around the midwest. Last night was different. I've really never seen conditions this good. I almost wanted to go outside on my ht and see if he could hear me lol...

4. vkrules

vkrules
    Expand Collapse

Interesting So what do you think low pressure front colliding with a high pressure front!

5. vkrules

vkrules
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for posting BC. A lot of the newbies wouldn't know this was possible .

Blackcat630 likes this.
  6. Blackcat630

Blackcat630
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure. I guess I need to do a little studying in the meteorological department. What ever it was it definitely doesn't happen every day. Guess it was one of those "right place at the right time" things.

7. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt
    Expand Collapse
    Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Cool nights followed by rapid warming as the sun comes up typically causes a "lift" as it is called. This happens mostly in late spring and early fall up here. The same effect happens as the sun goes down and you have rapid cooling. It is amazing what happens on the FM broadcast band with all those 100 Kw stations. I actually heard WOKI in Knoxville Tenn. when they were on 100.3 and it was beating up a local station on 100.1 Not bad for 1200 miles.

unit_399, Blackcat630 and binrat like this.
  8. gamegetter

gamegetter
    Expand Collapse

tropo ducting is a really cool phenomenon, i really enjoy it.

Blackcat630 likes this.