• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BACK UP AMPS SURPRISINGLY NICE

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
I operate a Palomar 300 a with a sonar fs 2340 for AM operation, and a triple stage phantom with a Madison for ssb.with

Within three week of each other both the phantom and 300 developed problems.
I've been using a Palomar 500 elete 4 x 1446 base amp for the Madison on SSB, and a super star 500 with the sonar for AM.
Even though the amps are labled with different company names there the same amps.
Now that the phantom's repaired I'm in no rush to remove 4 x 1446 Palomar. I show 400-500 watts on ssb with 12 watts. I was supprised to get excellent reports with this amp.
If your looking for a transitorized base amp and are considering one of these Palomar/super star/boomer/ no name for an everyday user or just a back up, don't hesitate. Just my opinion of course.
With 1 1/2 on AM with the sonar and super star I show 400, and excellent audio reports.
I just might use them for another month before swapping them out with the 300 a and phantom.
The 300 a shows 600 with the sonar and the phantom shows 1200 on SSB, with the madison but we all know the different on the other end is negligible2016-01-01_05.42.07.jpg .

Probably the same (4) 1446 amp board as this I'm guessing.
khceiEO.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.