• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Back when I knew it all...

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
I talked my boss into letting me wire the dust collector to the saw so they both turned on with the same switch. The saw was 240v 3-phase 4 wire delta (not that common, but I knew there was 120 at the contactor) and the dust collector vacuum was 120v single phase. I cut the plug off the vacuum and connected it to the contactor between neutral and the wild leg on accident. The vacuum ran better than usual (lol) until the capacitor turned into a grenade covering the shop in stinky fluffy off-white stuff that resembled fiberglass insulation. It took weeks for the smell to go away. That was 21 years ago now.

Anyone else do anything incredibly stupid?

When I was about 8 years old the electronic bug was already in full swing. I'd wait until my parents were gone and would take apart the family vcr just to look inside haha.
This should take us to the thread of "back when I knew it all" or in my case trying to learn it all.

I was about 10 years old +/- the walkie talkie battering were dead and had no new ones. That's when the neighborhood MacGyver wannabe (me) decided let's just recharge them. I took one of mom's lamps that hardly ever came on and cut the plug with a section of cord off. (It was easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission). I stripped the wires back and plugged that sucker in so that I could touch the ends to the batteries :ROFLMAO:.

End result was thankfully the lights went out and blew some house fuses and I got an ass whoopin!! NO IT DIDN'T WORK

I can laugh about it now but that was REALLY DUMB!!

Funny you should bring that up right now Brandon.

here's a great story by the guru himself.
He is LUCKY to be alive.
i'll tell my antenna+lightning story when i have a bit more time.

LC

Dang, he is lucky!!! That story reminds me of when I was 14. The neighbor gave me a large ignition coil out of an oil burner furnace. It looked like an older automotive coil but about 4x larger and had both HV taps on the top (maybe half the size of the ones you see on a power pole). It never did "get me", but I used to sit on the concrete floor in shorts with that in front of me and with two coat hanger wires sticking out of the top about 2 feet, unplug and plug it in trying to make a jacobs ladder. The arc easily ran to the top but it always just stopped at the top and stayed there melting the tips of the wires. I've handled all sorts of scary stuff like boron trifluoride, liquid nitroglycerin, mercury salts etc, but that ignition coil haunts my memory the most! I was so excited to have something stronger than the microwave transformer on a dimmer switch and one day it just disappeared. Parents must have made it disappear, but nobody seems to remember it.

ok as promised, here is my story.

My ego still hurts to this day...

I had been wanting to try a certain antenna set-up for quite a while, and actually posted/asked questions here about it quite a bit.

Specifically what i wanted to do was to use an Astroplane style antenna on a fiberglass mast (non-conductive guy wires as well) and using ferrite at a certain point on the coax in order to eliminate common mode currents on the shield.
the coax would come down the mast, across the roof and down to a ground rod right outside the shack. a real lightning arrestor was mounted on this ground rod, and from there another length of coax entered the shack.

at least that was the idea. (man this is embarrassing to write lol)

so i had everything put together and mounted, except for the ground rod.
yep.
i was waiting on the gas company to come out and mark their lines before i pounded it into the ground, but decided to run the coax into the house to try the antenna out in the meantime.
yep.
I was fine for about three days (gas company had come, but i still hadn't put the rod in the ground. here in the SW its like pounding it into a rock.)

Then came the far off lightning storm. We get this around here every so often where there will be lightning all around but no rain at all. The air had that smell to it, and lightning could be seen in the distance.
And that's when it occurred to me that i had done a VERY dumb thing.

I ran to the radio room and of course had the coax going into a radio.
(still haven't fixed it yet lol)
Like an idiot i unscrewed it from the radio and looking at the PL-259 in my hand i could see arcing from the shield to the center conductor. it was not actually struck but the energy was building up on the antenna from the surrounding lightning.

Realizing that i had basically created a lightning rod with nowhere to exit, i panicked.
i felt like at any moment a strike was coming and i'd be damned if it was going to shoot flames across my radio room.

i ran outside with a pair of dykes and cut the coax where it would just be hanging in free space but couldn't whip around.
I got quite the shock right through the insulated grips of the dykes when i cut that coax.
didn't knock me over but i sure the hell felt it go through my body.

I really have no idea just how close i came to either being dead or burning my house down, or both.
i'll tell you that i will never forget looking at that coax connector and seeing the blue light of death sparking over and over.

After that the ground rod was installed with the arrestor and the antenna performed amazingly.

The phrase "just smart enough to be dangerous" seems very appropriate lol.
What an Idiot!
LC

ok as promised, here is my story.

My ego still hurts to this day...

I had been wanting to try a certain antenna set-up for quite a while, and actually posted/asked questions here about it quite a bit.

Specifically what i wanted to do was to use an Astroplane style antenna on a fiberglass mast (non-conductive guy wires as well) and using ferrite at a certain point on the coax in order to eliminate common mode currents on the shield.
the coax would come down the mast, across the roof and down to a ground rod right outside the shack. a real lightning arrestor was mounted on this ground rod, and from there another length of coax entered the shack.

at least that was the idea. (man this is embarrassing to write lol)

so i had everything put together and mounted, except for the ground rod.
yep.
i was waiting on the gas company to come out and mark their lines before i pounded it into the ground, but decided to run the coax into the house to try the antenna out in the meantime.
yep.
I was fine for about three days (gas company had come, but i still hadn't put the rod in the ground. here in the SW its like pounding it into a rock.)

Then came the far off lightning storm. We get this around here every so often where there will be lightning all around but no rain at all. The air had that smell to it, and lightning could be seen in the distance.
And that's when it occurred to me that i had done a VERY dumb thing.

I ran to the radio room and of course had the coax going into a radio.
(still haven't fixed it yet lol)
Like an idiot i unscrewed it from the radio and looking at the PL-259 in my hand i could see arcing from the shield to the center conductor. it was not actually struck but the energy was building up on the antenna from the surrounding lightning.

Realizing that i had basically created a lightning rod with nowhere to exit, i panicked.
i felt like at any moment a strike was coming and i'd be damned if it was going to shoot flames across my radio room.

i ran outside with a pair of dykes and cut the coax where it would just be hanging in free space but couldn't whip around.
I got quite the shock right through the insulated grips of the dykes when i cut that coax.
didn't knock me over but i sure the hell felt it go through my body.

I really have no idea just how close i came to either being dead or burning my house down, or both.
i'll tell you that i will never forget looking at that coax connector and seeing the blue light of death sparking over and over.

After that the ground rod was installed with the arrestor and the antenna performed amazingly.

The phrase "just smart enough to be dangerous" seems very appropriate lol.
What an Idiot!
LC
Scary.. I think the way lightning rods work is by dissipating the charge as it comes closer as opposed to simply being a target for lightning. I imagine your antenna was serving that purpose when you saw it arcing and cut it. I never saw anything like that happen in person, and I hope I never do!

I have had static build up on a non-grounded antenna. Had a half-wave dipole above the house when I was in high school. Wasn't grounded in any way. I would unplug it from the radio when not in use. When heavy weather was coming and the wind picked up it would build up a static charge until it was enough to arc from the center pin of the PL259 to the plug's outer rim around it. Never did try to grab it when I would hear the "tick" every so many seconds as it would discharge the static, and then build it up again.

Probably would have been memorable if I had grabbed hold of it during one of those storms.

I have had static build up on a non-grounded antenna. Had a half-wave dipole above the house when I was in high school. Wasn't grounded in any way. I would unplug it from the radio when not in use. When heavy weather was coming and the wind picked up it would build up a static charge until it was enough to arc from the center pin of the PL259 to the plug's outer rim around it. Never did try to grab it when I would hear the "tick" every so many seconds as it would discharge the static, and then build it up again.

Probably would have been memorable if I had grabbed hold of it during one of those storms.

Why everyone should short their coax before using their VNA. I cooked a AA-30 that way once.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
........ and some think they still know it all ........
we know who they are don't we ........
Guilty. I assume that jab was at me being I ask very few questions and have a lot to say.

Without fear of being wrong (and without insisting that I am right causing trouble), I admit, I have enjoyed offering my opinion and occasionally looking in my books and sharing what I discovered (even when I have never dealt with such issues personally). I have learned more in one year doing that than I ever did going chapter by chapter in any book.

Learning goes much faster when you have an incentive to figure it out, and that incentive has always been helping others. But thats about to change. I've practiced (by forum proxy) on enough of other peoples radios now to start doing my own thing. Thanks for the education bahahahaha! Just kidding, I mean well.

We are all hacks here whether we admit it or not. If I was as smart as you seem to think I think I am, I would be forum-silent like the serious techs. Edit: no offense nomad, db, andy, sp5it, and shadetree, yall do know your s#!t for sure!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.