• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bad Wreck = New Install

Sniper308

Mar 13, 2013
Columbia, SC
Ok, my truck was totaled saturday. I am having to install my radio system in a new truck. I have bought 2 different antennas for this new install and am not having any success with any of them. I did not want to use the Sirio 5000 magnet mount on this truck simply because I dont want to mess up the paint with the magnet and honestly, the wire running across the top of the roof and down the back just looks bad.

I bought a 102" whip and installed it on a right angle mount inside the bed of the truck on the left side of the cab. I can not get the swr down on this antenna at all. It seems like the entire antenna is "short" from the readings I get on my SWR meter. How do you tune a 102" whip? I cant add length to it. I am not running a spring on this antenna. Does it need the spring to be electrically the right length?

I bought a Firestick 2 fiberglass whip to put in the same location on the same mount. I was able to get this antenna down to 1.5 to 1 across all channels but was not happy with that performance as I was always able to get my Sirio down to 1.0 or 1.1 to 1.

I would prefer to use the 102" whip if at all possible. Maybe someone here could chime in on whats wrong with it. I have been told I need to add a spring or an extension to get it to 108" length but I can only find springs that are 4" long. Where do you get a 6" spring? Any suggestions PLEASE. I am DESPERATE to get my truck back in operating mode as far as the radio goes.

If anyone knows where I can find a 6" STAINLESS STEEL spring I'd like to know that as well. I dont want chrome as they rust badly. Could a spring really make the difference on being able to get that whip to come in to tune??

My truck is 4 years old and, every 2 months, I remove the antenna to clean the painted surface and the magnet....guess what no damage. Best place for a mobile antenna is on the roof.
This doesn't look bad at all. If you keep the mating surfaces clean and dirt free, no damage. If someone doesn't like the way it looks that's just too bad because I hold the title not them. I had a Francis 8' whip and Predator 10K on the tool box....the Wilson on the roof outperformed both by no less than 1/2 a S-unit.

001-1_zps3230900b.jpg

Last edited:
Sniper, Gunny Pucks has a SOLID, STAINLESS STEEL 6" riser for the 102 if you were interested. As you know the chrome is something to stay away from, and I've read from others that the spring just gives the whip more sway than it already has. I've posted the link for Gunny's. For some reason it's labeled as index.<???>

index

Thanks so much Bigwheel. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I did not want a spring because the antenna is so close to the cab. I didnt want the antenna to sway and hit the cab all the time.

you can also get a piece of threaded rod from the hardware store along with a 3/8x24 coupler, I used this to tune in my 102 whip that I had mounted for a base antenna

Never thought of threaded rod. That's not a bad idea either. I may try that till the extension from gunny pucks arrives. I keep hearing how a 102" whip is supposed to be the biggest and baddest of all mobile antennas. I guess Im gona find out one way or another. So far though with the SWR and no extension/spring, Im not impressed.

Thanks so much Bigwheel. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I did not want a spring because the antenna is so close to the cab. I didnt want the antenna to sway and hit the cab all the time.

A tennis ball can be used on the whip to keep them from doing any damage to the body.

For 11 meters, it's actually a 108 whip. The 102 is the common one however because the spring and mount adds to the height.

For 11 meters, it's actually a 108 whip. The 102 is the common one however because the spring and mount adds to the height.

+1 but, actually where he has it mounted it may tune a little longer than that. I have mine mounted in the right front box side just behind the cab and the best I get is 1.6 on 40 on 1.8 on 1. I used the 5" Wilson shaft with associated hardware and have about 1.5" of adjustment within the threads. IIRC I achieved this reading at just under 109"

Attachments

• antenna-pieces-001.jpg
    antenna-pieces-001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 80
I ordered the 6" extension from gunny pucks. While I'm waiting on it to arrive I decided to play with the 4' firestick ll a bit more and see if I could get it to tune in a bit better. The firestick is mounted on a small spring. I was disapointed that I could not get SWR below 1.5 then I noticed on the package that it actually states that 1.5 is what its designed to tune to so I guess I shoul be happy. My concern isnt the 1.5 SWR in its current configuration. My concern is that my amp is comming back from being serviced via UPS tommorow and im worried that the SWR will go higher once the amp is back inline.

By the way, does anyone know the maximum continuous power a firestick 2 will handle? Hopefully it will handle 500w or im screwed.

While im thinking about it how much power can you put through the 102" whip?

I ordered the 6" extension from gunny pucks. While I'm waiting on it to arrive I decided to play with the 4' firestick ll a bit more and see if I could get it to tune in a bit better. The firestick is mounted on a small spring. I was disapointed that I could not get SWR below 1.5 then I noticed on the package that it actually states that 1.5 is what its designed to tune to so I guess I shoul be happy. My concern isnt the 1.5 SWR in its current configuration. My concern is that my amp is comming back from being serviced via UPS tommorow and im worried that the SWR will go higher once the amp is back inline.

By the way, does anyone know the maximum continuous power a firestick 2 will handle? Hopefully it will handle 500w or im screwed.

While im thinking about it how much power can you put through the 102" whip?

Using a 4 ft firestik where you installed the mount is a lost cause. Are you serious about how much power a 102" stainless steel whip can handle? A ss steel whip running that close to the cab won't match in too good, you'll need at least 2 ft separation from the cab to the antenna.

you can also get a piece of threaded rod from the hardware store along with a 3/8x24 coupler, I used this to tune in my 102 whip that I had mounted for a base antenna

This is the best option because then you can take the time to tune the SWR by cutting the length of the threaded rod (or by making the piece longer)...if you buy the extension rod (which can be bought locally as a Wilson extension), you are fixed on length.

I actually had this exact setup in the last truck, just looked at it last night laying on the bench. I had my 102 (with the threaded rod) to a nearly flat 1:1...the needle would barely deflect on the meter. But it took some time getting to that point because cutting a 1/4" off a piece of 3/8" rod that is only 6-inches long is a pain.

This is the best option because then you can take the time to tune the SWR by cutting the length of the threaded rod (or by making the piece longer)...if you buy the extension rod (which can be bought locally as a Wilson extension), you are fixed on length.

I actually had this exact setup in the last truck, just looked at it last night laying on the bench. I had my 102 (with the threaded rod) to a nearly flat 1:1...the needle would barely deflect on the meter. But it took some time getting to that point because cutting a 1/4" off a piece of 3/8" rod that is only 6-inches long is a pain.

I don't understand... Why would you cut 1/4" off a rod that is 6" long instead of taking bolt cutters to the whip itself???

Why would I screw up a perfectly good whip when I have a continuously threaded rod I can shorten?

Plus, there is no chance of cutting the whip too short using my method.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.