• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base station grounding

Why ground the things in the shack? I am putting up an antenna right now and it is about 30 ft from the house. Im using a 8 ft rod there. but isnt your equipment in the house grounded already. I use a strip in the shack with a breaker at the plugins. We had our TV antenna hit and it fried the TV but nothing else. Why not use lightning protection inline? Im not the sharpest tool in the shed so be easy on me :? : :D

Whats the best thing to ground antenna mast. I have to go up about 5 ft to get to mast pipe as I am putting it in a c band satalite dish pipe. Would 1 inch thick strand copper cable work or would somthing shielded work better as far as TVI goes.

I would use as thick of wire as possible. And if your going to use anything copper you should tin the ends so you will always have a good conection when the copper oxidizes.

Justin, If you were to run the ground strap 9' to the bus bar and three "home runs" to it should the three "home runs" be the same length, say three feet, or would it matter?

I don't think he said to make it 9' . stay away from 9' becuase it would act as a quarter wave ant. make all grounds as short as possible to get the job done, but stay away from 1/4 wave lengths of the freqs. operating on. and i agree with the lighting arrestors on all coax BEFORE they enter into the house tied to a central ground at the base of my of my grounded tower. bonded to the ground rod outside the shack ground buss. it certianly helps reduce noise levels

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.