• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beam question

Why do some elements taper, i.e. maco and some like the gizmotchy and Jo Gunn don't. I'm referring to the director elements.
Tapering elements, decreases wind load. Companies that do not taper, are cost cutting. They can get the length they need with one 10' length of tubing, which leaves one short piece of waste, instead of 3 for example. Maco and Gizmotchy are the same manufacturer.

Are you asking about the diameter of the tubing tapering down in the elements or are you asking about the length of the reflector, drivin element and directors?
Not sure

Jeff

Do you mean taper in that the reflector is longer that the driven element and the directors are shorter?

If so, that is because an element that is longer, or lower in resonant frequency than the frequency of operation will reflect the RF away (towards the front of the antenna) and a shorter element or higher in resonant frequency than the frequency of operation will re-radiate the RF in the same direction it is already travelling (towards the front of the antenna).

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/antennas-propagation/yagi-uda-antenna-aerial/theory.php

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Why do some elements taper, i.e. maco and some like the gizmotchy and Jo Gunn don't. I'm referring to the director elements.

I now feel like I didn't read your question properly, lol. You did specify director elements.

You mean specifically why do the director elements get progressively shorter as they get closer to the end of the antenna, tbh, I don't know :)

I would assume, that as the elements get progressively further away from the driven element, more capacitance is required to develop the required phase angle shift for the re-radiated RF to now become constructive to the desired radiation pattern of the antenna, and shortening the element is the easiest way to increase capacitance.

As to why some antennas would not taper the elements down like that, I really don't know :)

As in the directors being shorter than the other elements. My question is why are some shorter and why are some the same length? Sorry I'm not that techie as I'm just a dumb cber.. lol.

Sorry I'm not that smart when it comes to antenna theory. Lol I'm just a dumb cber

No need to apologise, I critiqued the way you asked the question because it lacked clarity and was wide open to misinterpretation, I did not, in any way, imply you were dumb.

I am a "dumb CB'er" too, I don't care so much for the HAM bands, although I didn't claim to have the answer you were looking for, I thought I could give some relevant input and gave you my best guess which may help you to find the answer you seek. Did you even read it?
I would assume, that as the elements get progressively further away from the driven element, more capacitance is required to develop the required phase angle shift for the re-radiated RF to now become constructive to the desired radiation pattern of the antenna, and shortening the element is the easiest way to increase capacitance.

As to why some antennas would not taper the elements down like that, I really don't know

Seems I shouldn't have bothered :)

I wasn't looking for a rude response from you but if you want to go there then feel free to kma. I swear this site is a damn joke anymore. I'd rather just ask a local or get on one of the Facebook pages.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.