• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner antenna questions

bhayles

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jul 2, 2014
mountains of N Georgia
juicymaters.com
After spending my teen years in the early 70's with a 23 channel CB radio I've been radio-less for the last 40+ years. A couple of months ago I decided that getting back into some sort of radio communications might be a good thing...just in case, don't ya know.

I picked up a Cobra 148 GTL off EBay and got an Antron 99. The setup works well...but is not sufficient for what I want to be able to do.

I've ordered 2 Baofeng 997 S's to cover 2M and 70 cm and will be ordering (Monday) a Yeticom Optima MKIII for 24.500 thru 29.990 (yes, I'm getting licensed).

Whart is my most economical way to set up base antenna(s) that will give me decent ability to reach out? I don't believe in cheap, but it must be frugal as I live on a small, fixed retirement income.

Ideas?

bhayles;484040 I don't believe in cheap said:
There goes all my "big" ideas for helping you spend money.

But on a more serious note if it were me, I would do a dual antenna for the vhf/ /uhf like the comet GP 15, and a good vertical for the yeticom and a small tuner. Something like Hygain SPT500 and a MFJ 941.

Reactions: 1 person
...and a good vertical for the yeticom and a small tuner. Something like Hygain SPT500 and a MFJ 941.

Sorry about not opening my wallet for your "big ideas"...I know how fun it can be when someone says, "How do I..." and I get to plan the solution for them, with their money...:D:D:D

Based on your suggestion quoted above...is the Antron useless for my purposes? It can't cover 10-12 even with a tuner, can it? I don't need to leave it hooked to the Cobra as the Yeticom will replace it for my base in the house and the Cobra will either become a mobile as designed or put away as a backup...or maybe even kitted up as a field radio.

Spend some money and get the antenna system right!! The optima mk3 will do the rest. Good radios. Not sure about the ones on eBay but I think they are safe to buy. There isn't much to be done to these radios when get them. Mine already came in freeband mode. And it produced 50 watts on my rat shack meter. Not a big numbers person, more interested in audio quality and the build quality of he radio. And the optima does well in both areas. The stock mic is okay and I mean just okay, it's just took Small IMO, I ordered the icom hm-36 mic and will try it once I receive it. But I have gotten good audio reports from the stock mic, it's just too small for me lol. But anyway, like said, get your antenna system setup right and that radio will talk around the world when conditions permit. God bless and have fun. Happy 4th of July and God Bless.

A UVS 300 from Workman is pretty good in my opinion for 2m and 70 cm. I also use a shorty 80/ 40 m dipole it works well on 20m with a tuner. And for cb imax 2000 with ground planes. Both verticals are on 3 sections of conduit telescoped together with one set of guys about 2 feet from the top. Overall the mast is approx. 27' high it works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think his other thread was addressing ham antennas. OP's jumping in full cannon ball!

Why the two threads?

Since the Optima is sorta a hybrid...kinda CB and kinda Ham, I figgered if I posted in just one place I'd miss a lot of potential quality input from the other crowd (we all kinow CBers and Hams are exactly best buddies usually, right?). I'm new on this forum and didn't know how much each kept to themselves and didn't visit the other side.

Since the Optima is sorta a hybrid...kinda CB and kinda Ham, I figgered if I posted in just one place I'd miss a lot of potential quality input from the other crowd (we all kinow CBers and Hams are exactly best buddies usually, right?). I'm new on this forum and didn't know how much each kept to themselves and didn't visit the other side.

Soooooooo...are we looking for a base antenna for CB, or the HAM Bands?

Sorry about not opening my wallet for your "big ideas"...I know how fun it can be when someone says, "How do I..." and I get to plan the solution for them, with their money...:D:D:D

Based on your suggestion quoted above...is the Antron useless for my purposes? It can't cover 10-12 even with a tuner, can it? I don't need to leave it hooked to the Cobra as the Yeticom will replace it for my base in the house and the Cobra will either become a mobile as designed or put away as a backup...or maybe even kitted up as a field radio.

The A-99 can do 10-11-12 meters. It can do 20 meters with a good tuner. A friend of mine runs one on 40m with a tuner. The GP-15 is a good antenna for 6m, 2m and 70cm. But if you don't plan on ever do 6m you can save a few buck by getting something else. Look at the Jetstream line for 2m/70cm antennas about 40% less than Comet & Diamond antennas.

Ah generally you are correct but this forum is different, you will get good advice here from both sides.

CB'ers ignore most of the ham threads, but the hams read all the CB threads. It's like forbidden fruit or a Lay's tator chip.

I like the ham threads as they provide good insight and wisdom. The same goes for CB threads if they too do the same. The hams on this site aren't too stuck up and will provide correction for the reader's sake. Sort of like error cops on the beat. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.