• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best 11m/ Export SSB Under $200

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Basically what is the best 11m/export for under $200 with SSB?

Rather stay away from smt/smd stuff.

Would like it to be stable on SSB and have variable power.

T23

My experience between my export and my Grant, the Grant gets better reports than my 95t2 on SSB. It doesn't have big power, but the audio is just awesome. Amps can always make up the wattage difference. However, I do like having the frequency counter, talkback, and variable power of the export. But for a price, any of that can be added to a regular CB.

Can I ask why you are specifically looking for an export?

Well for a few reasons, some which you listed, but what i would like is a radio with good modulation and audio on sideband and AM. That is stable and will not drift. The exports have a few extras like FM or CW but i dont especially need those.

I have looked at the new cobra 148gtl, and have heard comments that say stay away from it like the plauge.

I am looking at the Galaxy 959, but i question Sideband being stable.

T23

1) Big difference between CB's (11 meter only) and Exports.

2) I don't think there is an Export under $200 at all.

3) Good and Cheap never go together, at least not in RadioLand.

For exports you need to raise the $$ up at least to $250

Reactions: 2 people
Basically what is the best 11m/export for under $200 with SSB?

Rather stay away from smt/smd stuff.

Would like it to be stable on SSB and have variable power.

T23

They are all SMT now. You aren't going to find a ssb export for under $200 unless it fell off the back of a delivery truck.
Going cheap will usually cost more in the long run. Magnum and RCI exports are what you want.

Last edited:
I don't quite like the magnum exports because of how they changed the the programing pins on there equipment. But all that aside, lets say I did raise my budget to $250- $260..... then what?

I see that radioactive still sells the SS-3900...

T23

Now just about every Medium Power export mobile fits your price range.

See other existing threads for best/pros/cons. This has already been discussed to death.

good luck

Well could anyone make any suggestions on what they think is stable on SSB, i noticed alot of exports are based on the ranger boards, which galaxy uses, so this means that ranger radios are drifters also? Just asking for some suggestions, maby I have missed one. What would y'all suggest if I were to forget my budget but still keep my common sense?:LOL:

T23

Looks like I am just going to have to break down and get my myself a RCI 2950DX.

Where can I get one that has the e-chip in it already or comes with one for sure? i'd like to use paypal too.

As a side note do the 2950dx radios have low level AM modulation like ham rigs do?

T23

Yes the olny answer is the RCI 2950dx, Plain and simple. I have one and use a handheld D104M6B make sure you have someone you can trust listen to the audio level while you set Mic gain and radio mic gain and then don't touch them. I have a texas star DX350HDV with Imax 2000 and set up corectly the hams on ten meters even during contest cant tell it from a big dollar ham rig. But you need to set up the mic and mic gain with the mic you are useing, No drift Tune in any station eaisly. Not an audio monster with am bells and whistles of other am radios but SSB the olny choice. I also have a Magnum S45HP for AM echo topgun and talk back etc My am toy rig.. Don't like it that much for SSB. But it is rated as a good ssb rig. Plenty of am rig for SSB ranger 2950dx

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.